Before Diabetes (Prediabetes Classes)
To ensure high quality, CDC recognizes lifestyle change programs that meet certain standards and show they can achieve results. These standards include following an approved curriculum, facilitation by a trained lifestyle coach, and submitting data every 6 months to show that the program is having an impact. CDC partners with public and private organizations, to improve access to high quality lifestyle change programs.
Due to the success of Prince George’s County Health Department’s DPP, in March 2023, the Health & Wellness Division received full plus recognition status from the CDC as a supplier of the National Diabetes Prevention Program. This CDC recognition status is good for five years.
WHAT IS IT?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) developed a year-long structured, lifestyle change program as a response to the overwhelming rate of diabetes on a national level. The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) is for people with prediabetes or at risk for type 2 diabetes. The program’s goal is for people to lose 5 to 7% of their body weight and make lasting lifestyle changes like healthy eating and becoming more physically active to prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes.
WHO SHOULD REGISTER?
Participants will need to meet all of the following requirements:
- 18 years or older
- Overweight (Body Mass Index of 25 or higher; 23 or higher for Asian-American)
- Not previously diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- Not currently pregnant
Participants will also need to meet one of the following requirements:
1. Had a prediabetes blood test result in any of the following ranges within the past year:
- Hemoglobin A1C of 5.7-6.4 or
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test: 140-199 mg/dl or
- Fasting Glucose Test: 100-125 mg/dl
2. A previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes (if you were pregnant)
3. High risk result (score of 5 or higher) on the CDC prediabetes risk test
Registration is free. For more information or to register for the Prevent T2 program, call (301) 856-9465 or send an email to WellnessInfo@co.pg.md.us. Once you complete the registration process, you will receive a follow-up confirmation call or email. Registration is currently open. Late registration closes on August 28, 2023.
- Online - offering sessions online only.
- The link to the online program will be emailed to registered participants prior to the start of the program.
- August 2023 to July 2024
- Tuesdays from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- For more information download the Prevent T2 Pre-Diabetes Class flyer.
- A FREE year-long program
- Learn how to eat healthy without giving up all of your favorite foods
- Learn how to lose weight, be more physically active and manage stress
- Having a trained lifestyle coach to keep you on track and motivated
- Support from other participants with the same goals as you, lots of fun, and participation giveaways!