How to Get a Maryland Birth Certificate
Requests for certified Maryland birth certificates may be made at the Hyattsville location on a walk-in basis only for births that occurred in Maryland after 1940.
Certificates for births that occurred prior to 1940 can be obtained from the Division of Vital Records.
Division of Vital Records
6764-B Reisterstown Road
Baltimore, MD 21215
Online: Vital Check
Who Can Request a Birth Certificate
You may obtain a Maryland Birth Certificate if you are:
- An individual requesting his/her own birth certificate.
- A parent named on the certificate.
- A court-appointed guardian of the individual named on the certificate. A foster care appointment is not acceptable; proof of guardianship must be submitted.
- A surviving spouse of the individual named on the certificate.
- A representative of (1) the individual or a parent named on the certificate; or (2) the court-appointed guardian of the individual named on the certificate. The representative must have a letter signed by the individual, parent, or guardian, and certified by a notary public, stating that the representative has permission to obtain a copy of the certificate
For same-day service, applicants are required to present a valid, government-issued photo identification that includes an expiration date. i.e. (Passport, driver's or non-driver’s license). Applicants who are unable to supply this type of identification must present two different items from the following list. At least one of these documents must contain the applicant’s current mailing address. Applicants who cannot provide valid photo identification will not receive the birth certificate on the same day. The certificate will be mailed to the address displayed on the documents provided.
- Pay stub
- Current vehicle registration
- Bank statement
- Letter from a government agency requesting a vital record
- Lease/rental agreement
- Utility bill with current address
- Income tax return or W-2 form.
There is a $25 fee per certificate. Cash, money orders, and credit or debit cards (Visa, Discover, MasterCard) are accepted as payment.
- A $2.50 service fee applies to credit/debit card transactions.
- Money orders should be made payable to:
Prince George’s County Health Department
425 Brightseat Road, Suite 101E
Hyattsville, MD 20785
Hours of Operation
- (Except Holidays) Mondays – Fridays 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Phone (301) 324-2940
To Request a Correction or Change
- Visit Maryland Department of Health Corrections website.
- Please call the State of Maryland, Division of Vital Records at (410) 764-3038.
Changes to Birth Certificates include:
- Affidavit to Correct Information
- Affidavit to Change Name within 12 Months of Birth
- Affidavit to Add a Given Name
- Change Sex Designation
- Affidavit of Parentage
- Obtaining a Court Order for Birth Certificate Changes