Preparing for Pet Adoption
Watch this video to start preparing your family and home for bringing another member home:
Steps for the Adoption Process
- Visit the website 24Petconnect.com (also known as Pet Harbor), select "Filter", enter zip code 20772, and under "specific shelters" select Prince Georges County Animal Services Division, to view animals available for adoption from the facility.
- Call 301-780-7200, option 2, with the animal ID number(s) to check availability.
- Complete the Adoption Application for Dogs & Cats or Adoption Application for Exotic Animals, print and bring the application with you to the facility. Please DO NOT FAX OR EMAIL applications.
We conduct all adoptions on a first-come, first-served basis. Walk-ins are welcome during our normal business hours.
Only one application is accepted per animal. In many cases, our pets can go home the same day they are adopted, so please come prepared with a leash and collar if you are adopting a dog, or with a pet-safe
carrier if you are adopting a cat, rabbit, or another small animal.
Note: Citizens and residents adopting a pet from the Animal Services Facility and Adoption Center may pay for adoption fees by cash or credit card only.
For more adoption information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must be 18 years or older to adopt.
- Valid photo ID is required.
- Animals are placed as household pets only. You are not permitted to adopt animals for guarding, hunting or mousers.
- In accordance with Prince George's County law, all female pets MUST be spayed and all male pets neutered. Animals adopted out will be spayed/neutered before going home. If a medical condition prohibits spay/neuter at the time of adoption, a contract will be signed to bring the pet back for spay/neuter surgery at a later date.
- The animal must be maintained in accordance with the licensing and other laws of the community in which it resides and be provided with routine and emergency veterinary care as required.
- It is the objective of the Animal Services Division to place pets from the Facility in the most suitable home available for both the pet and the family. We reserve the right not to place an animal, to refuse or deny any application, or to make recommendations to consider another selection.
|Fee Category||For Cats||For Dogs|
($45 + $25 for pain medication & e-collar)
($100 + $25 for pain medication & e-collar)
|Other||Leukemia/AIDs Test: $20||Heartworm: $15|
Prince George's County Animal Services Division has partnered with Pets for Patriots.
Service members with at least 190 days in the service are welcome to utilize this partnership. You could adopt for free if you are looking to adopt one of the following: a dog or cat at least 2 years of age; a dog or cat with special needs; a dog or cat that has been homeless for 6 months+; or a dog 40+ pounds. To adopt through this program, click www.petsforpatriots.org
Search Available Pets
Use the below links to search for your next pet:
If you've lost a pet, you can search the lost animals at our shelter here.