Halloween Safety Rules
If you're trick-or-treating, it's crucial to stay safe while chasing those sweet treats. Here are some simple rules to make sure your Halloween is all fun and no scares.
Wait Before You Treat:
Don't munch on any treats until you're back home, and an adult has given them the green light. This is especially important for candies that aren't wrapped or fruits.
For the Younger TOT:
- Always have a grown-up with you. They should carry a flashlight to light up the way.
- If you're wearing a mask, make sure you can see clearly. Consider face painting or wearing a hat instead.
- Check that your costume fits well to avoid tripping, and if you can, choose costumes that won't catch fire easily.
- Stick some reflective tape on your costume and candy bag to be easily seen in the dark.
For the Older TOT:
- Let someone know where you're going and the route you'll take.
- Bring a cell phone or some spare change in case you need to make an emergency call.
- Go out in a group of three or more – there's safety in numbers.
- Stay outside the doorway of houses; never enter a house for treats.
- Visit only houses where the lights are on.
- Be careful around parked cars and be wary of strangers.
Remember, the key to a spook-tacular Halloween is having a blast while staying safe.