Due to COVID-19 precautions, Prince George’s County Vital Records services are suspended until further notice.
Additionally, the County’s Vital Records Birth Certificate requests are suspended until further notice at the Health Department’s location at 425 Brightseat Road, Hyattsville MD 20785. All Birth Certificate requests can be placed with the Baltimore Vital Records office over the phone, internet, or by mail. To access the application, visit www.vitalchek.com.
How to Get a Maryland Birth Certificate
Requests for certified Maryland birth certificates may be made at the Hyattsville location on a walk-in basis only for births that occurred in Maryland after 1940.
Certificates for births that occurred prior to 1940 can be obtained from the Division of Vital Records, 6764-B Reistertown Road Baltimore, MD 21215.
Call (410) 764-3038
Who Can Request a Birth Certificate
You may obtain a Maryland Birth Certificate if you are:
- Person requesting his or her birth certificate
- Parent(s) whose name is on the birth certificate
- Guardian with court certified documents showing legal permanent custody
- Person with a notarized letter of authorization from the requestor
For same day service, applicants are required to present a valid, government-issued photo identification that includes an expiration date. i.e. (Pass port, drivers or non-driver’s license). Applicants who are unable to supply this type of identification must present two different items from the following list. At least one of these documents must contain the applicant’s current mailing address. Applicants who cannot provide valid photo identification will not receive the birth certificate the same day. The certificate will be mailed to the address displayed on the documents provided.
- Pay stub
- Current vehicle registration
- Bank statement
- Letter from a government agency requesting a vital record
- Lease/rental agreement
- Utility bill with current address
- Income tax return or W-2 form.
There is a $25 fee per certificate. Cash, money orders, credit or debit cards (Visa, Discover, MasterCard) are accepted as payment.
- A $2.50 service fee applies to credit/debit card transactions.
- Money orders should be made payable to:
Prince George’s County Health Department
425 Brightseat Road, Suite 101E
Hyattsville, MD 20785
Hours of Operation
(Except Holidays) Mondays – Fridays 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Phone (301) 324-2940
To Correct, Change or Add Name
Please call the State of Maryland, Division of Vital Records
(410) 764-3067, (410) 764-3090, (410) 764-3063