Receiving an HIV diagnosis can be life changing and no one has to face this situation alone. The Prince George’s County Health Department offers free HIV counseling that will:
- Help you process the emotions that may come with an HIV diagnosis
- Refer you to treatment services
- Help you tell sexual partners and anyone you’ve shared needles with that you are positive for HIV. It is very important that they also get help.
- Offer information on how to avoid infecting others
If you know an HIV negative person who wants PrEP, a once daily pill to prevent from getting HIV, learn more information about PreP.
HIV/AIDS treatment and services are currently available Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) by appointment at the Cheverly Health Center and D. Leonard Dyer Regional Health Center. Services include the following.
A health assessment includes:
- A physical exam
- Lab tests
- Personal medical treatment plan addressing education, medication, nutritional needs, specialized care and referrals to other services
- Specialized services for women, including pap smears, cervical cancer screening, mammograms and disease prevention education
- Screening treatment for STDs (sexually transmitted diseases)
Case management includes:
• Health education
• linkage to insurance
• HIV medication assistance
• linkage to supportive services
• Emergency financial assistance
• Transportation assistance
• Referrals for housing assistance and other social services