Avoiding the Dangers of Snow Shoveling
Helpful Tips When Shoveling Snow
- Warm up with gentle stretches before starting
- Out of shape or overweight?
- Tackle snow shoveling at a slow pace to avoid the risk of heart attack
- Push snow out of your way instead of lifting it, whenever possible
- Take small loads of snow on your shovel
- Bend your knees, keep your back straight and lift with your legs
- Keep your arms close to your body when lifting a load
- Take frequent breaks:
- Stand up and walk around to reduce strain on lower back
- Extend/stretch your back muscles
- Place your hands on the back of hips and slightly and gently bend backwards - do not bounce.