Halloween Safety Rules
There’s no alternative to your TOTs (Trick or Treaters) insisting on hitting the streets in search of the ultimate candy product. Keep them safe!
Trick / Treating Guidelines
Parents should insist that no treats be eaten until checked by an adult at home, especially unwrapped candy and fruit.
For Younger Children:
- Ensure that a responsible adult goes along and carries a flashlight
- Assure the child can see clearly if a mask is worn. Try face-painting, or a hat, instead
- Check that costumes fit properly to avoid tripping, and if possible, that they are flame-resistant
- Place reflective tape on costumes and candy bags
For Older TOTs:
- Know their itinerary and route
- Give kids a cell phone or some change for emergency calls
- Have them travel in a group of 3 or more
- Insist they stay outside the doorway of houses, and instruct them to never enter a house for a treat
- Advise them to only visit houses where lights are on
- Caution them to avoid park cars, and to be wary of strangers