Drinking & Driving Don't Mix
Before the Lights Go Out and the Party’s Over…
All too often holiday festivities are spoiled because of a tragic event caused by a drunk driver. Party hosts: give your guests an edge as they get behind the wheel to go home. They’ll thank you later.
- When guests arrive, collect the car keys. As they prepare to leave, call a cab if they’re not sober.
- Offer non-alcoholic beverages. Your guests may prefer a soda.
- Always serve high protein and high carbohydrate food like cheese and meats
- When serving an alcoholic punch, use a non-carbonated base such as fruit juice.
- Stop serving alcohol two hours before the party ends. Begin serving coffee and other non-alcoholic beverages.
- If you observe a guest drinking too much, engage him/her in conversation to slow down the drinking. When the party is over, suggest the following:
- Have a sober person drive the impaired friend home
- Have your friend stay overnight
- Pay a taxi to take them home