Raze Permits

Raze/Demolition is the tearing-down of the house and other structures on residential property. Before any raze/demolition activities, there are steps that need to take place — including but not limited to performing asbestos abatement, removing hazardous or regulated materials, obtaining necessary permits, submitting necessary notifications, disconnecting utilities, rodent baiting, and development of site-specific safety and work plans.

Important Information

2018 IBC Chapter 2, Definitions" Subtitle 4, Section 2-123 Clarification — Requirements affecting the 2018 International Building Code (IBC) Chapter 2 "Definitions" and Subtitle 4, Section 4-123 of the Prince George County Code as amended. The purpose is to clarify the definition of "Raze" as it pertains to a structure and define "Interior Demolition" and "Partial Demolition."


Permit Applications must be entered online.

Permit Applications

Who Can Apply

  • Owner:  Property Owner name must match Maryland State Assessment records or Proof of Ownership must be submitted. 
  • Agent:  All applicants must attest that they are authorized by the property owner to submit an application.
  • Contractor:  Must have Maryland Home Improvement Commission license.

Plans and Disconnect (Cutoff Notices) Requirements

  • Site Plan (Signed & Sealed) — Show location of project.
  • Service Disconnect — You need the following:
    • Disconnection Letters — Cutoff notices from all utility companies serving your property (gas, electric, water/sewer — even if there were no utilities to the building) stating that the utility has been disconnected; and
    • Health Department Inspection — A letter from the Health Department stating the absence of asbestos.

How Do I Obtain a Raze Permit?

Utilities Phone Numbers
Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE)
1068 N. Front Street, Room 501, Baltimore, MD 21202
7317 Parkway Drive South, Hanover, MD 21076

Potomac Electric Power Company (PEPCO)
8300 Old Marlboro Pike, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772

Department of Permitting, Inspections and Enforcement (DPIE)
Building Plan Review Division, Health Review Section
9400 Peppercorn Place, Suite 213, Largo, MD 20774
(To request Asbestos, Abandoned Well and Septic Inspections)



Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative (SMECO)
PO Box 1937, Hughesville, MD 20637

888-440-3311 Ext. 8444
Washington Gas and Electric
6801 Industrial Road, Springfield, VA 22151

Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC)
14501 Sweitzer Lane, Laurel, MD 20707

301-206-4001 or 4003

Processing and Reviewing Agencies


For permit, license and bond fees, view the DPIE Fee Schedule. Customers are encouraged to pay online.

  • Customers who are using the Momentum system are encouraged to make payments directly in Momentum. (If your permit or citation includes letters, you are using Momentum and need to pay in Momentum.)
  • If your project is in the older ePermits system, you may make payments in ePayments.
  • For alternate forms of payment, visit DPIE's Payments page.
  • All permitting fees are assessed an additional five percent (5%) Technology Fee. Fees are subject to change based on County codes.  


Following agencies' approval of plans/drawings and payment of fees, a permit is issued. A permit may be revoked if issued in error. A permit may be void if construction has not started, has been suspended or discontinued.

Modifications to the permit, plans, or drawing require a Permit Revision. Permit Revision applications must be submitted online via the Momentum permit portal.

If approved, permits that expire or require more time to complete, may be renewed or extended by using the following form.

Permit Renewal Extension Request


Inspections must be requested and conducted at least once every six months. Visit our Inspections Division pages to schedule an inspection