Food Service Facility (FSF) Permits

Health Licenses and Permits

Health Licensing processes permits and licenses for Food Health including Food Service Facilities and related licenses.

  • Food service facility permits/ farmers' market/ mobile unit/ temporary food service/ vending machine
  • Food service manager certification & training

Electronic submission is available through the Momentum portal for health cases that don't require a DPIE building permit.

Guides and References

Health Plan Review

DPIE's Building Plan Review Division's Health Section conducts the majority of health plan reviews including plans for new and remodeled food service facilities, as well as for pre-opening inspections of food service facilities.

Food Service Facility Permit Information

Health Department Food Service Facility Permits are issued by category, depending on the type of food served in a facility and how the food is handled before, during, and after the day it is served.

Potentially hazardous foods include raw and cooked meat, seafood, eggs, dairy products, cooked rice and pasta, and cut fruits and vegetables, such as salads. These foods are more likely to grow the type of bacteria that causes illnesses if not handled properly or cooked and stored at the right temperature.

Categories of Food Service Facilities

High Priority FSF

  • Full-service restaurants
  • Buffets
  • Hospitals
  • Nursing homes where clientele consists of the very old, very young or hospitalized persons

Type of Food Served/Food Handling

  • Potentially hazardous food is served
  • Food is cooked ahead of time, or is served as a leftover, which means it was placed in cold storage after the first cook and, therefore, went from hot to cold
  • Food is cooked and kept hot for service for more than 4 hours

Moderate Priority FSF

  • Fast food restaurants in which food is cooked and then served
  • Potentially hazardous food is served
  • Food is served to the customer right away
  • Hot-served food is not kept more than 4 hours before being discarded

Low Priority FSF

  • Commercially packaged potentially hazardous foods served directly to the consumer
  • Non-potentially hazardous food is cut, assembled, or packaged on the premises, such as candy, popcorn, and baked goods
  • Hand-dipped ice cream

Mobile FSF

A mechanically, electrically, manually, or otherwise propelled vehicle that is relocated following each day’s operation to an approved depot or other location acceptable to the approving authority.

  • Sale of food is not permitted on the public rights-of-way in Prince George’s County, except for ice cream vendors
  • Sale of food, other than pre-packaged ice cream, from a vehicle is only permitted at an approved food hub or in association with a farmers' market, carnival, fair, circus or other similar event
  • This permit allows the handling/sale of foods for up to one year

Farmers' Market Vendor*

The following permits are required to operate a Farmers' Market:

  • A Farmers' Market must have both Maryland State Department of Agriculture approval AND a Prince George’s County Department of Permitting, Inspections and Enforcement Use and Occupancy Permit
  • Sale of foods other than farm products requires a Prince George’s County Health Department Farmers' Market Vendor Special Food Service Facility Permit
  • Contact the Food Protection Program staff at 301-883-7690 for more information

Temporary Event

  • Issued to prospective food and drink vendors operating at a fixed location for not more than five consecutive days in conjunction with a fair, festival, carnival, community day, concession stand or special events
  • Contact the Food Protection Program staff at 301-883-7690 for more information

Warehouse/Processing Plant

  • The County Code no longer requires warehouses and food processing plants to have a County license. Instead, please contact the Maryland Department of Health:

    Maryland Department of Health
    Office of Food Protection
    6 St. Paul Street, Suite 1301
    Baltimore, MD 21202
    Phone:  410-767-8400
    Fax:  410-333-8931

The Food Service Manager (FSM) Certification

Any operator of a restaurant or Mobile Unit serving food other than ice cream must have a Prince George’s County Certified Food Service Manager on duty at all times.

  • An individual obtaining a certificate for the first time is required to:
  • An individual obtaining a renewal certificate is required to:
    • Complete an 8-hour course from one of the approved instructors (PDF), and bring a letter from the instructor stating that he/she has completed the class
    • For more information regarding Non-Profit Food Manager Training, contact the Food Protection Program at 301-883-7650

How To Obtain a Prince George’s County Food Service Manager (FSM) Certificate

Applicants will need the following documents:

  • Course certificate showing a passing grade
  • Copy of driver's license or other acceptable government-issued (United States or State) identification card
  • Passport photo to upload

After your application is reviewed, your certification card will be created using the passport photo and mailed to you.

Contact Information by Agency

Name Organization Telephone Number Email Address Area of Assistance
Bill Edelen DPIE (240) 832-9560 DPIE Inspections
Brandon Wright DPIE (240) 508-9639  DPIE Inspections
Clarence Moseley DPIE (301) 883-5913 DPIE Permitting
Karen Spears DPIE (301) 883-5941 DPIE Permitting
Vaughn Barkdoll Department of the Environment (DoE) (301) 883-3198 Recycling
Gwen Hector Health Department (301) 883-7646 Food Services/Permitting & Inspections
LaTonya Hackley Public Safety Special Events Coordinating Group (240) 695-8146 Special Events Coordinator
Jim Reilly Office of the Fire Marshall (240) 508-4937 Fire Code Enforcement/

Farmers’ Market Procedures

*Farmers’ Market Coordinator

To apply for a Farmers’ Market Permit, use the Momentum portal and select the Building Permit application.

Use the menu for Building Permit and select "ePlan Requested by the Applicant" option BEFORE the online application is submitted. Include the following information for the Farmers' Market: beginning and ending dates of operation, hours of operation (from set up to end), number and sizes of all structures, tents/stages/generators, etc., that will be used at the Farmers' Market in the WORK DESCRIPTION section of the application.

The following documents are required to be uploaded electronically (via ePlan):

  • Site plan showing the location of all structures that will be on the property that day.
  • A letter of authorization (not a contract) from the property owner.
  • If tents are used, the manufacturer’s flame retardation specifications/certification. Please indicate on the application the number and dimensions of tents that will be used for the event.
  • If generators are used, a master electrician has to obtain the electrical permit. Please indicate on the application the number of generators that will be used at the Farmers' Market.
  • If there are structures i.e., tents/stages/platforms, structural drawings are required. Please indicate on the application the number of structures and dimensions that will be used at the Farmers' Market.

To submit payment, use the link to Payments.

To schedule inspections, use the link to the Third Party Inspection Program. To determine the requirements for your market, contact the Fire Marshall’s Office, Health Department Inspections and DPIE Inspections. Contact information is provided in the table.

For more information, view the Farmers' Market page.