Building Codes & Bulletins
The Building Plan Review Division and the Inspections Division will frequently post the current codes and bulletins to inform the building industry of changes, modifications, and/or procedures associated with the building permit process. (In order to view the bulletins, you must download and install Acrobat Reader.)
Codes Currently Used by Prince George's County Government
Fire Protection and Life Safety Review Codes
- 2018 International Building Code (IBC) and Subtitle 4
- 2018 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
- 2018 NFPA 101 Life Safety Code and Subtitle 11
- 2018 NFPA 1 Fire Code
- Maryland State Fire Prevention Code
- 2016 NFPA 13 Installation of Sprinkler Systems
- 2016 NFPA 13D Installation of Sprinkler Systems in One- and Two-Family Dwellings
- 2016 NFPA 13R Installation of Sprinkler Systems in Residential Occupancies up to 4 stories in height
- 2016 NFPA 72 National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code
- 2017 NFPA 70 National Electrical Code and Subtitle 9 Prince George’s County Electrical Code
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Building Code and Subtitle 4 Prince George’s County Building Code
- 2018 International Existing Building Code
- 2018 IECC International Energy Conservation Code
- 2018 The International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- Prince George’s County Subtitle 4, Sec. 4-180 Chapter 11 - Accessibility.
- COMAR 9.12.53 Maryland Accessibility Code (Note: The COMAR number changed from 05.02.02 to 09.12.53 due to Building Codes transferred from DHCD to DLLR.)
- 2010 ADA Standards
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC-2018)
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC-2018) or (ASHRAE 90.1)
- For a complete listing of the Plumbing and Fuel Gas Code, visit the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission's (WSSC) website.
- Prince George’s County Health/Food Service Facilities Code, Subtitle 12
- Prince George’s County Health Public Swimming Pool/Spa Code, Subtitle 5
- Prince George’s County On-Site Sewage Disposal Systems Code, Subtitle 22
- COMAR (Code of Maryland Regulations) Title 26 Department of the Environment, Subtitle 04 Regulation of Water Supply, Sewage Disposal and Solid Waste, Chapter 01 Quality of Drinking Water in Maryland
- COMAR 26.04 Chapter 02 Sewage Disposal and Certain Water Systems for Homes and Other Establishments in the Counties of Maryland Where a Public Sewage Systems is Not Available
- COMAR 26.04 Chapter 03 Water Supply and Sewerage Systems in the Subdivision of Land in MD
- COMAR 26.04 Chapter 04 Well Construction
- COMAR 26, Subtitle11 Air Quality, Chapter 21 Control of Asbestos
- COMAR Title 10 Department of Health, Subtitle 15 Food, Chapter 03 Food Service Facilities
- COMAR Title 10 Department of Health, Subtitle 17 Swimming Pools and Spas, Chapter 01 Public Swimming Pools and Spas
- MBPS – Maryland Building Performance Standards
- MBRC – Maryland Building Rehabilitation Code
- IEBC – International Existing Building Code
- IECC – International Energy Conservation Code
- IBC – International Building Code
- IRC – International Residential Code
- ADA – American Disability Act
For Statewide Building Codes, click on the link to the Maryland Codes Administration.
- Bulletin 2022-02-R1 (PDF) - This revised bulletin clarifies the definitions of “Raze” and “Interior Demolition” as they pertain to a structure.
- Bulletin 2023-01 (PDF) — This bulletin clarifies that DPIE's Inspections Division now requires the use of a DPIE-approved Third-Party Electrical Inspector for all commercial electrical inspections, residential solar installations, and residential generator installations.
- Bulletin 2022-02-R1 (PDF) — This bulletin clarifies the definitions of “Raze” and “Interior Demolition” as they pertain to a structure.
- Bulletin 2022-02 (PDF) — This bulletin clarifies the definition of “Raze” as it pertains to a structure and defines “Interior Demolition” and “Partial Demolition.”
- Bulletin 2020-02, Rev 5-2020 (PDF) — This bulletin updates Bulletin 2020-02 regarding third-party site/road inspections.
- Bulletin 2020-02 (PDF) — This bulletin clarifies that DPIE now requires all utilities, or their contractors doing compaction, right-of-way and roadway restoration and repaving work under a utility or small wireless facility permit or a maintenance permit to provide for a an independent third-party inspector; whom must be approved by the County to perform an inspection to ensure that the permitted compaction, right of way and roadway restoration and repaving work is in compliance with the Prince George's County Code Subtitle 23, and Specifications in effect at the time of permit issuance.
- Bulletin 2015-02 (PDF) — This bulletin establishes DPIE allows County approved Third-Party Electrical inspectors to perform solar system inspections under DPIE’s Third-Party Inspections Program (TPIP).
- Bulletin 2015-01 (PDF) — This bulletin establishes Requirements for Third-Party Commercial and Residential Solar System Inspections.
- Bulletin 2013-01 (PDF) — This bulletin clarifies that a construction permit is required and lists the minimum requirements for removal of a swimming pool.
- Bulletin 2013-01 (PDF) — This bulletin establishes the permit requirement for fences that encroach within a public road right-of-way or a public easement such as a storm drain, conservation, surface drainage and a floodplain.
- Bulletin 2010-4 (PDF) - This bulletin is to correct the bulletin dated May 21, 2010, which announced the suspension of the Building Postcard Permit for residential fences that are up to six feet in height.
- Bulletin 2009-1 (PDF) - Adoption and implementation of the 2006 International Building Code, 2006 International Residential Code, 2006 International Mechanical Code and 2006 International Energy Conservation Code
- Notice-Revised Permit Fees (PDF) - A new permit Fees Schedule has been instituted at the Permits Center effective November 23, 2009.
- Bulletin 2007-2 (PDF) - Permitting and inspection practices for unmetered Private Area Lighting (PAL) installations on private property by an electrical utility company (EUC).
- Bulletin 2006-2 (PDF) - Building Code Update of the 2003 International Building Code, 2003 International Residential Code, 2003 International Mechanical Code, and 2003 International Energy Conservation Code.
- Bulletin F06-01 (PDF) - Policy guidelines for third-party inspection of underground water pipes serving fire protection systems.
- Amendment to the 2003 International Residential Code, Section R312.2, Guard opening limitations: required guards shall not be constructed with horizontal rails or other ornamental patterns that result in a ladder effect.
- Bulletin 2005-4 (PDF) - Building Permit Fees for Single Family Dwellings, Townhouses, Apartments and Condominiums
- Bulletin 2005-2 (PDF) Page 1 (PDF), Page 2 (PDF) - Heating System Certification for Single Family Homes
- Bulletin 2005-1 (PDF) Guidelines Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, Page 5 - Stormwater Management Concept and Technical Procedures Update
- Bulletin 2004-7 (PDF) Attachment 1 (PDF), Attachment 2 (PDF) - Preparation of Construction Plans for Residential Buildings
- Bulletin 2004-6 (PDF) (PDF) Certification - Approval of Replacement Mobile Homes/Manufactured Homes Under a Walk-through Commercial Use Permit (CGUW) in Established Mobile Home Parks
- Bulletin 2004-5 (PDF) (PDF) - Approval of Sediment and Erosion Control Plan Without an Approved Tree Conservation Plan (TCP) Type II Plan Prior to Issuance of a Rough Grading Permit
- Bulletin 2004-4 (PDF) - Cycle of Water and Sewer Amendments for April 2004
- Bulletin 2004-3 (PDF) - Residential Walk-through Procedures
- Bulletin 2004-2 (PDF) - WSSC Water and Sewer Service Certification/Approval
- WSSC Water and Sewer Certification Form (PDF)
- Bulletin 2004-1 (PDF) - Preparation of Mechanical Plans
- Bulletin 2003-2 (PDF) - Plan Screening April 10, 2003 (PDF) - New Single-Family Dwellings
A 28-B03 2
- Bulletin 2002-5 (PDF) - Single Family Dwelling (PDF) - Wing Wall Reports, October 22, 2002
A 26-B02 5
- Bulletin 2002-4 (PDF) - Preparation of Architectural Documents, Requirements for Seal and Signature (PDF) - October 22, 2002
A 25-B02 4
- Bulletin 2002-3 (PDF) - December 2002 Cycle of Amendments for Water and Sewer (PDF) - October 1, 2002
A 24-B02 3
- Bulletin 2002-2 (PDF) - Adoption of the 2000 International Building Code, 2000 International Residential Code, 2000 International Mechanical Code, and the 2000 International Energy Code (PDF) - September 17, 2002
A 23-B02 2
- Bulletin 2002-1 - Page 1 (PDF), Page 2 (PDF), Page 3 (PDF), Page 4 (PDF), Page 5 (PDF)- Stormwater Management Conceptual Plan Approval January 28, 2002
A 22-B02 1
- Bulletin 2001-6 - Page 1 (PDF), Page 2 (PDF)- Proposed 2001 Water and Sewer Plan
- Bulletin 2001-5 - Page 1 (PDF), Page 2 (PDF), Page 3 (PDF), Table 1 (PDF), Table 2 (PDF), Table 3 (PDF), - Volume Application Process for Single Family Dwellings, New Commercial Buildings, Commercial Additions and Townhouses
July 6, 2001
- Bulletin 2001-4 - Page 1 (PDF), Page 2 (PDF), Page 3 (PDF), Page 4 (PDF) - Final Plat Review for Water and Sewer Service
- Bulletin 2001-3 - Page 1, Attachment 1 (PDF), Attachment 2 (PDF), Attachment 3 (PDF) - Commercial Inspection Procedure (CIP) (Certification Requirement for Maryland Accessibility Code), March 8, 2001
A 18-B01 3
- Bulletin 2001-2 - Page 1 (PDF), Page 2 (PDF), Attachment 1 (PDF), Attachment 2 (PDF), Attachment 3 (PDF), Attachment 4 (PDF), Attachment 5 (PDF), Attachment 6 (PDF) - Stormwater Management and Grading Permit Information Form, January 2, 2001