Extreme heat emergency

County opens cooling centers. Urges caution during this severe weather period. Visit mypgc.us/StayCool for more information

Assisted Living for 5 or Fewer Occupants

Assisted Living in a residential facility provides living and sleeping facilities for elderly or physically handicapped residents within which sheltered care services are provided, which may include but need not be limited to: meal preparation, laundry services, housekeeping, personal observation and direction in the activities of daily living, transportation for routine social and medical appointments, and the availability of a responsible adult for companionship or nonclinical counseling. The term shall not include an "Adult Day Care Center," "Congregate Living Facility," "Hospital," "Nursing or Care Home," "Family," or "Group Residential Facility" as defined in Prince George's County, Maryland Code of Ordinances, Subtitle 27. An "Assisted Living Facility" shall comply with any licensing and other regulatory requirements.

Application and Supporting Documents

Building Permit applications are completed online. Please go to the ​Momentum portal ​and enter the information directly into the County’s Permitting System.

The Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC) has specific requirements for the form and content of every home improvement contract provided by the MHIC licensed contractor. Be sure you are familiar with those requirements before signing any home improvement contract. Home Improvement contractors must be licensed by the Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC). For any questions pertaining to contract contents, what constitutes a home improvement, or the professional standing of a specific home improvement contractor, contact the Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC) at (410) 230–6309 or visit their web site at www.dllr.state.md.us.

 Who Can Apply

  • Owner: Property Owner name must match Maryland State Assessment records or Proof of Ownership must be submitted. Proof of Ownership: Deed and Deed Recording Receipt from Clerk of the Circuit Court for Prince George's County.
  • Agent:  Applicants that are not the property owner must submit document showing Owner's permission to use property for assisted living facility.
  • Contractor: Automated Sprinkler System — Property permit history must include an Automated Fire Sprinkler System permit that has been approved by inspections.

Plans and Drawings Requirements

  • Site Plan (Signed & Sealed) — Show all accessory buildings, pools and exterior structures.
  • Floor Plan (Signed and Sealed by Professional Engineer) — Show each floor in the dwelling.

Processing and Reviewing Agencies

The Walk Through Process

Use ePlan to upload support documents, and required plans and drawings.


For permit, license and bond fees, view the DPIE Fee Schedule. Customers are encouraged to pay online.

  • Customers who are using the Momentum system are encouraged to make payments directly in Momentum. (If your permit or citation includes letters, you are using Momentum and need to pay in Momentum.)
  • If your project is in the older ePermits system, you may make payments in ePayments.
  • For alternate forms of payment, visit DPIE's Payments page.

All permitting fees are assessed an additional five percent (5%) Technology Fee. Fees are subject to change based on County codes.

Job Card

The Job Card is not permission to use and occupy the property as an Assisted Living facility.

A Job Card will be issued following Department of Permitting, Inspections, and Enforcement processing, review by the Maryland–National Capital Parks and Planning Commission (M–NCPPC) and payment of applicable fees.

Note:  M–NCPPC may approve the Use and Occupancy permit during the initial review or require additional time for review and approval.

A Job Card may be modified prior to final approval by inspections by submitting a revision request to eplan@co.pg.md.us via a Word document or PDF.

The Job Card must be at the location and available for the required inspections.


Following approval by the M–NCPPC, an inspection may be requested and conducted. An inspection must be requested and conducted at least once every six months to avoid the permit being "abandoned."

Certificate of Occupancy

  • Following approval by the Fire Marshal and the Zoning/Building inspectors, a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued.
  • The Certificate of Occupancy is mailed to the Property Owner.
  • Copies of the Certificate of Occupancy are available for a fee by submitting a Maryland Public Information Act (MPIA) request form.
  • A change in the use, name or owner requires filing a new Use and Occupancy Permit.


  • If Sprinkler System is included with the project, a Sprinkler Permit is required.