Family Day Care for 8 or Fewer Children

Use and Occupancy Permit

Family Day Care provides an important source of daytime child-care services for families in Prince George's County. Many of these environments are educationally stimulating and fun. A Family Day Care Use and Occupancy Permit ensures that a residential property meets the International Residential Building Codes and local fire, zoning and building regulations that are designed to maximize safety and fire egress, when needed.

Application and Supporting Documents

Permit applications are completed online. Please go to the Momentum portal and enter the information directly into the County's Permitting System.

The Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC) has specific requirements for the form and content of every home improvement contract provided by the MHIC licensed contractor. Be sure you are familiar with those requirements before signing any home improvement contract. Home Improvement contractors must be licensed by the Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC). For any questions pertaining to contract contents, what constitutes a home improvement, or the professional standing of a specific home improvement contractor, contact the Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC) at (410) 230–6309 or visit their web site at
Who Can Apply

  • Owner:  Property Owner name must match Maryland State Assessment records, or Proof of Ownership must be submitted. Proof of Ownership:  Deed and Deed Recording Receipt from Clerk of the Circuit Court for Prince George's County.
  • Agent: Applicants that are not the property owner or MHIC contractor shall attest on the permit application that the proposed work is authorized by the owner and that the applicant is authorized to make such application.
  • Contractor: Maryland State Licensed Architect/Engineer or Maryland Home Improvement Commission license.

Plans and Drawings Requirements

  • Site Plan (Signed & Sealed):  Show all accessory buildings, pools and exterior structures.

Processing and Reviewing Agencies

The Walk Through Process

Use ePlan to upload support documents and required plans and drawings.

Select "eplan" on the online application and upload required documents.

For permit, license and bond fees, view the DPIE Fee Schedule. Customers are encouraged to pay online.

  • Customers who are using the Momentum system are encouraged to make payments directly in Momentum. (If your permit or citation includes letters, you are using Momentum and need to pay in Momentum.)
  • If your project is in the older ePermits system, you may make payments in ePayments.
  • For alternate forms of payment, visit DPIE's Payments page.

All permitting fees are assessed an additional five percent (5%) Technology Fee. Fees are subject to change based on County codes.


Job Card

The Job Card is not permission to use and occupy the property as a Day Care facility.

A Job Card will be issued following Department of Permitting, Inspections and Enforcement processing, review by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission and payment of applicable fees.

A Job Card may be modified prior to final approval by inspections by submitting a revision request to via a Word document or PDF.

The Job Card must be at the location and available to the required inspections.


Following approval by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, an inspection may be requested and conducted. An inspection must be requested and conducted at least once every six months to avoid the permit being "abandoned." The Job Card and approved Site Plan must be at the location and available for the required inspections.


Certificate of Occupancy

  • Following approval by the Fire Marshal and the Zoning/Building inspectors, a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued.
  • The Certificate of Occupancy is mailed to the Property Owner.
  • Copies of the Certificate of Occupancy are available for a fee by submitting a Maryland Public Information Act (MPIA) request form.
  • A change in the use, name or owner requires filing a new Use and Occupancy Permit.


  • A new Automatic Sprinkler System is NOT required in existing single-family dwellings when they are used as family day care facilities, as long as the occupant load is 5 or below and complies with the 2018 International Residential Code (IRC).
  • Automatic Sprinkler System must be updated, as needed, when there is an existing Automatic Sprinkler System.