The Health Section conducts the majority of health plan reviews submitted to DPIE’s Building Plan Review Division. The projects this section reviews include plans for new and remodeled facilities including food service facilities, on-site sewage disposal systems, wells for potable water supplies, and public swimming pools and spas. The Section also conducts plan reviews for the upgrade/expansion of an existing sewage disposal system to serve proposed building additions.
Additionally, this section conducts pre-opening inspections of food service facilities and public swimming pools and spas; also, this section makes installation inspections of on-site sewage disposal systems and wells that have plans approved within the Building Plan Review Division. This section’s functions are jointly coordinated between the Division of Environmental Health in the Health Department and the Department of Permitting, Inspections and Enforcement.
Electronic plan (ePlan) submission is available through the ePermits Online Portal for health cases that don't require a DPIE building permit (equipment evaluations, onsite sewage disposal systems on residential properties, facilities located in the City of Laurel, the University of Maryland, and Bowie State University).
Note: The Health Department does not review or license food establishments in Federal buildings or on Federal property.
Food and Pool Permits/Licenses Are Processed Using Momentum
All Prince George's County Environmental and Food Health Permits/Licenses are processed in Momentum allowing customers to submit applications, upload documentation and make payments online. When the applications have been reviewed and approved, customers will be able to print their licenses at work or at home.
If you have any questions, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-883-7605.
A Plan Review Application and the associated fee must accompany all plans submitted.
For information on how to submit plans, and for a printable copy of the accompanying required Plan Review Application Form, please refer to the following Plan Review Guides:
Applicable Codes & Regulations
Below are our most frequently used codes and regulations:
- Prince George’s County Code, Subtitle 12, Division 2, Subdivisions 1, 2 & 3 and Subtitle 22, Division 1 & 3, Subdivisions 1 & 2
- Code of Maryland Regulations governing food service facilities 10.15.03; governing swimming pools & spas 10.17.01; governing water supply, sewage disposal and well construction 26.04.02 & .04
Legislative Information System
Prince George’s County Subtitles can be found online through the Legislative/Zoning Information System.
Code of Maryland Regulations
The Code of Maryland Regulations can be found online.
The following projects can be walked through the Permits Office for review:
- Low priority food service facilities which are facilities that serve commercially packaged potentially hazardous foods directly to the consumer; non-potentially hazardous food that is cut, assembled, or packaged on the premises, such as candy, popcorn, and baked goods; or hand dipped ice cream.
- Equipment evaluation
- Minor remodels (involving 3 or 4 pieces of food service equipment) for existing food service facilities
Status of Your Application
The status of your permit application can be tracked online via the Online Permitting System.
Most permit applications are currently reviewed within 10 business days. If you have a question regarding the status of your application, please contact us.
Resources & References
The various guides and references below may assist with meeting plan requirements for health review and approval.
- Food Plan Guide
- Food Plan Review application
- Septic system design manual
- List of approved Best Available Technology (BAT) units for nitrogen removal for sewage disposal systems
Note: A revised/updated design manual covering BAT units is forthcoming.
- Septic Permit application
- Information on the requirements for the design of and financial assistance towards the installation of a BAT
- Swimming pool/spa design manual
- Swimming pool/spa plan review application
- To schedule an inspection for a raze permit, call the Health Review Section at 301-636-2070.