Home Food Service

In most cases, zoning constraints and food regulations do not allow a residential property to be used for the preparation and service of food for public consumption.


However, there are a couple of exceptions:

  • Preparation of “cottage foods” and their sale at farmers markets and temporary events.
  • Bed and Breakfast operation: defined as eight rooms or fewer for rent, is not required to have a food service permit if food is limited to only “continental breakfast.” Refer to COMAR,(b),(c).


This also will require a single family rental license for your home. The rental license can be obtained from our website.