Brown Station Road Sanitary Landfill
The Brown Station Road Sanitary Landfill (BSRSL) is owned and operated by the Prince George's County Government. This site accepts material from county citizens, residents, and local businesses only. Proof of residency is required. Businesses must prove in County generation of waste. The Landfill is permitted by the Maryland Department of the Environment and accepts only municipal solid waste.
The Brown Station Road Sanitary Landfill located at 11611 White House Road in Upper Marlboro is open to the public Monday - Saturday between the hours of 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Closed Sunday.
Payment made by cash, credit card, or accounts only. No checks will be accepted.
** Please note, we do not accept American Express. When a credit card is used for payment, a temporary charge of 50% of the gross weight will be made until final cost is determined. It will take 2-5 business days for the adjustment to occur, depending on your financial institution.**
**NEW** EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2021 - Standard Rate $70 PER TON
Pickup Trucks ¾ Ton or Greater, Modified Sides, Vehicles for Commercial Use/With Commercial Markings, Trailers and Loads of Commercial Waste in any vehicle are subject to the standard rate $70 per ton with a ($10) minimum charge.
**NEW** EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2022 - Pickup Trucks, Cars, SUV’s and Passenger Vans up to ½ Ton: No Charge (Vehicles must be residential in use, without modifications; trailers and commercial/commercial-looking vehicles do not qualify)
The Landfill has several recycling facilities within the complex, which include the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Acceptance Site and Electronics Recycling (ER) Acceptance Site which are only open on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and sites for yard trim, scrap tires, and appliances (Monday through Saturday).
- Metal: $25 per Ton
- Scrap Tires (Commercial): $400 per Ton
- Yard Trim: $45 per Ton (limbs, branches, trees no larger than 8 inches in diameter; and grass, leaves, brush and bushes, no stumps or logs, no plastic bags).
- Commercial vehicles must utilize the Prince George’s County Organics Composting Facility (OCF) located at 6550 Maude Savoy Brown Road, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772, from Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. A fee will be assessed for use of the Landfill and OCF on Saturdays. Only commercial customers may dispose of yard trim at the Landfill, and only on Saturdays.
- Residents (vehicles without trailers) may dispose of yard trim for free at the Brown Station Road Convenience Center located at 3501 Brown Station Road, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772, open Monday through Saturday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Residential vehicles with trailers must use the OCF, located at 6550 Maude Savoy Brown Road, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772 to dispose of yard trim, from Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. A $10 minimum charge will be assessed. Please note trailers are not permitted at the Brown Station Road Convenience Center.
- Animal Carcasses
- Automobiles or related parts
- Chemical and/or petroleum cleanup waste
- Compressed cylinders of any size, shape type or condition (Exception - household-sized barbeque grill-style propane tanks, which may only be delivered on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays to the Household Hazardous Waste Acceptance Site)
- Construction and demolition debris*
- Drums, tanks, kegs, and barrels (plastic and metal) greater than 55 gallon in size and only after the sides are removed and the vessel flattened prior to arrival (All other items require prior approval from the landfill Manager and may require proof of contained product, removal of residue and cleaning)
- Hazardous and bio hazardous/medical wastes
- Liquids, including sewage and septic waste
- Radioactive material
- Shingles and roofing materials
- Skids and pallets
- Soil, rocks, grubbing material, and spoil
- Stumps and logs
*County residents are allowed to bring in one non-commercial/non-modified pick up load or one trailer load of C & D material per year.
Vehicular Access to Landfill
Access to the disposal area of the landfill is limited to commercial trucks (such as trash trucks, roll-offs, compactors, etc.) All other vehicles are required to use convenient disposal sites as directed.
The maximum size of a trailer allowed to dispose of waste at the landfill is 8 feet X 12 feet and the side on any trailer cannot exceed 4 feet. Trailers exceeding any of the dimension stated above will not be allowed to dump at the landfill. The following is the maximum size of a trailer with construction and demolition material.
Construction and Demolition Material (C&D)
Each house within Prince George's County is only allowed to bring in one non-commercial or non-modified pick up load or one trailer load of C & D material per year and delivered by that property's owner, proof of residency is required, such as a driver’s license. The load cannot exceed the sides of a pick-up sized truck. The maximum trailer size is 4 feet X 8 feet and the sides of the trailer cannot exceed 2 feet.
Additional loads of this material may be disposed of at a Rubble Fill, such as the Ritchie Land Reclamation Landfill in Upper Marlboro or search through the MD Recycles Recycling Directory.
County residents may dispose of a maximum of 5 scrap tires no larger than 17" in size per year. Disposal of more than 5 tires requires a Tire Hauler's License issued by the Maryland Department of the Environment (800-633-6101). We do not accept automobiles/trucks or parts.
Refrigerators, freezers, ice machines, air conditioning units, and all items containing refrigerants must be hand-unloaded in Disposal Site 4. Hand unloading is required to prevent damage to Freon lines and containers. This is a Federal requirement and we ask your cooperation to remain in compliance. All other appliances and metals may be unloaded in the designated area within Disposal Site 4.
Effective January 1, 2014, yard trim is not accepted in plastic bags. Yard trim is collected weekly on Mondays from households receiving County-contracted collection services. Yard trim includes leaves, grass clippings, plant clippings and brush. Brush cannot exceed 8 inches in diameter and 5 feet in length. Please do not mix yard trim with regular trash.
Emergency & Temporary/Permanent Closing
During periods of natural and/or manmade disasters, which jeopardize the safety of citizens and personnel, the management may decide to temporarily suspend landfilling operations until the danger subsides. This is especially true and more common during periods of lightning storms. The vast and open area of the Landfill's disposal area is elevated and susceptible to possible hazards. Once operations are interrupted, notification will be arranged and we will resume operation only after the danger or hazard is gone and the area is deemed safe for operations.
Holiday closings are posted at the entrance to the Landfill prior to each date. The Brown Station Road Sanitary Landfill will be closed on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- July 4th
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Note: Should the holiday fall on a Saturday, the Brown Station Road Sanitary Landfill will be closed that day and the Friday before the holiday.