The mission of the Department of the Environment works for a healthy, beautiful and sustainable County through programs that provide clean water, flood control, recycling and waste management, litter prevention, sustainable animal management and pet adoption in partnership with residents and other stakeholders.
Some of our core services include:
- Providing clean water services (Stormwater Management Division);
- Flooding prevention for buildings and structures (Sustainability Division and Stormwater Management Division);
- Collecting, processing and diverting waste from the County-operated landfill, commercial facilities and householders (Resource Recovery Division);
- Providing sustainability services to reduce greenhouse gas and emission (Sustainability Division); and
- Facilitating pet adoptions, managing an animal holding facility, issuing pet licenses, investigating cruelty complaints and conducting humane outreach and education events (Animal Services Division).
We invite you to collaborate, engage, partner and champion with us as we employ innovative and sustainable approaches to our environmental challenges. Information on this site is intended to assist you with learning more about our organization and its programs and services.
Feel free to reach out to us for more details on how you can help us make Prince George’s a greener place to live, work and play.