Residential Recycling Program
DID YOU KNOW ... that Prince George's County is No. 1 in the state of Maryland for recycling and waste diversion! That means, you're recycling more and trashing less in your home and businesses. Keep up the good work Prince Georgians! For more information on ways to improve your recycling, contact the Recycling Section within the Resource Recovery Division at (301) 883-3635. View the entire list of County recycling and waste diversions in Maryland.
The Resource Recovery Division provides curbside recycling collection for over 172,000 county residents and citizens. As a county homeowner, you pay a fee for recycling and other waste management programs through the Sold Waste Charge that appears on your property tax bill. Recycling is your opportunity to keep Prince George's County a clean and healthy place to live. It's easy, saves energy and is good for the environment. By placing your recycling bin and/or cart at the curb once a week on your regularly scheduled collection day, you can help reduce the amount of trash that is disposed of at the landfill. Just follow these tips:
- All recyclable items are placed in the same container
- Recyclables are collected without the need to sort or separate
- Equipment at the Materials Recycling Facility sorts the materials (view video of the facility)
- A box or any receptacle (other than the county issued trash can) marked with an "X" or the word "Recycling" may be used as a recycling collection container
- Corrugated cardboard boxes will be collected with their contents
- Place recycling container or cart at curb by 6 a.m.
- Place the cart at curbside for collection with the arrow on the lid and the lift bar facing the street.
- When placing the cart at the curb, nothing should be in front of or immediately beside the cart
- Collections begin as early as 6 a.m. and continue until 8 p.m.
- To report a missed collection or register a complaint about your residential recycling collection, please submit a service request via the online CountyClick 311 Citizens Service Request System or dial 3-1-1.
- All material collected is transported and sorted at the materials Recycling Facility.
- View Inclement Weather Policy for information on delays or suspension due to road or weather-related conditions.
Christmas Lights Recycling Program
DoE is pleased to offer residents a place to recycle old Christmas lights. Residents may take old lights to the Brown Station Road Landfill, Household Hazardous Waste Acceptance Site, located at 11611 Whitehouse Road, Upper Marlboro, MD 20774. Lights may be dropped off throughout the months of December and January, during regular business hours, Thursday thru Saturday from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm, excluding holidays.
The lights are shredded into tiny bits and the bits are sorted into various components that make up the lights such as copper, glass, and PVC. The individual components are then recycled.
Collection for Senior Citizens & the Disabled
The county provides on premise collection of recyclables for senior citizens over 65 years of age and for disabled persons. To qualify, no one living in the home can be under 65 years of age or be physically able to carry the collection containers to the curb. To make arrangements for on premise collection, call 301-952-7630.
Trash, recycling and yard trim collection services are NOT provided on the following holidays:
|New Year's Day||Memorial Day||Independence Day|
|Labor Day||Thanksgiving Day||Christmas Day|
If the holiday falls on a week day, trash and recycling collection will shift to the next day, through Saturday, with no collections on Sunday. There are NO makeup days for yard trim collection.
View a full holiday schedule for trash, recycling and yard trim collection.