Prince George's County requires a pre-employment background investigation for all public safety employees sworn and civilian. The background investigation process determines whether a candidate meets the standards and requirements to become a public safety employee. Public Safety Investigations manages the investigation process which includes verifying identity, education, employment history, criminal record, and credit history and will include interviews with family, friends, and relatives. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide all necessary documents to PSI so the investigation process can begin. Failing to respond will delay the pre-employment investigation.
As part of the background investigation process for sworn positions you will be subjected to a truth verification examination, such as a polygraph examination or voice stress analysis, and a psychological evaluation. Other positions may require a psychological evaluation.
If you have any further questions, please contact the recruiter for the agency to which you have applied.
Applicants must successfully complete all of the following steps:
- Submit an online application
- Preliminary Application and Applicant History Review
- Pass the physical agility test (If applicable)
- Pass the written examination (If applicable)
- Preliminary documents and records check
If sufficient vacancies exist, applicants at this stage may be contacted to continue in the Background Investigation process, which includes:
- Download, complete and submit the Personal History Statement (PHS)
- Participate in Background Investigation & PHS Orientation
- Initial Interview
- Background Investigation
- Oral Board
- Polygraph Examination (if applicable)
- Psychological Screening (if applicable)
- Medical Examination and Drug Screening Test
- Hiring Consideration
- Final Offer of Employment
Public Safety Investigations Main Line: 301-324-4300
Public Safety Investigations Fax Number: 301-324-4492
If you are an outside agency requesting information on an applicant, please send the request with a notarized authorization of release to firstname.lastname@example.org.