New Employees

Enroll with 30 days

You have 30 days from your date of hire to enroll in the medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, flexible spending accounts (FSAs), long-term disability, and supplemental life insurance benefit plans. If you don’t enroll within the first 30 days of hire, you will have to wait until the next Open Enrollment period to enroll, unless you experience a qualifying life event.

Know Your Options 

Review the Active Employee Benefits Guide; it includes information to help you select the coverage options that are best for you and your family.  

Make Your Elections 

Complete the enrollment process using the Employee Self Service (ESS) website or by completing and submitting an Enrollment/Change Form to the Benefit Administration Division.

Making Changes

You cannot change your benefit elections during the year, unless you experience a qualifying life event, which includes:

  • Marriage, divorce, or legal separation
  • Death of the employee’s spouse or dependent
  • Birth, adoption or legal guardianship of a child
  • Change in eligibility status of a dependent of the employee, including attainment of age limit of eligibility
  • Change in dependent’s job that results in addition or loss of coverage
  • Status change of an employee (i.e., part-time to full-time, full-time to part-time, beginning leave of absence or returning from such leave)
  • Relocation into or out of network area for employee, spouse and dependent
  • An employee, spouse, or dependent becomes enrolled under Medicare or Medicaid


If you have a qualifying life event, contact the Benefits Division within 30 days of the event to make changes to your coverage. If you fail to notify the Benefits Division within 30 days, you may not enroll, cancel, or change coverage until the next annual Open Enrollment, unless you have another qualifying life event.

You will need to provide documentation to verify the qualifying life event as outlined in the chart below.

Qualifying Event Documentation Required 
Birth or adoption of a child
Government issued Birth Certificate that includes parents’ names AND Social Security Card.
Government issued Marriage Certificate, AND Current proof of Joint Ownership*. If married in the past 12 months, only Government issued Marriage Certificate is required.
Divorce decree.
Legal separation/Limited divorce
Legal separation/Limited divorce papers signed by judge or attorney.
Legal guardianship
Government issued Birth Certificate, Court Ordered Document of Guardianship, AND Social Security Card.
Death of spouse or dependent
Death certificate.
Loss of coverage
Documentation to include date of termination and the coverage(s) you are losing. If adding dependents, then required documentation from them is required.
Gaining coverage
Documentation to include coverage(s) being obtained and the effective date.


* Standard Proof of Joint Ownership includes:

  • Mortgage Statement
  • Bank Statement (bank account verification letter showing active status)
  • Active lease agreement
  • Homeowners Insurance
  • Renters Insurance 
  • State tax return (within 1 year)
  • Credit Card statement (includes department stores, and care credit)
  • Property Tax
  • Current-year state tax return listing spouse/partner 
  • Current-year mortgage interest/mortgage insurance 
  • Warranty deed
  • Auto loans 
  • Current-year federal tax return listing the spouse 


All documents must be submitted to the OHRM Benefits and Pensions Division within 30 days of the qualifying life event, with the Dependent Verification cover form:

  • Email:
  • Fax: 301-883-6192
  • Mail or hand deliver: 1400 McCormick Drive, Suite 110, Largo, MD 20774 


When to Enroll

You can enroll in Benefits 365:

  • As a new hire, within 30 days of your date of hire.
  • During the Open Enrollment period held each fall.
  • Within 30 days of a qualified life event.


How to Enroll

  1. Login to If you do not remember your Employee Self-Service (ESS) user ID and password, contact the IT Helpdesk at 301-883-5322.
  2. Review and/or update your Personal Profile.
  3. Review, update and/or add Dependents and Beneficiaries.
  4. Review your current Benefits Summary.
  5. Enroll or make a change(s) to a health benefit plan(s) [e.g., medical, dental, prescription, vision]. You may also select the Medical and Prescription Opt-Out Credit.
  6. Enroll or make changes to Life and Long -Term Disability plans.
  7. Enroll or make changes to your Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs).
  8. Review, Save and Submit.


Medical Opt-Out Election

If you want to elect the Medical Opt-Out, you must re-enroll through ESS and provide proof of coverage each year with a Medical Opt-Out Cover Form.  


Voluntary Benefit Elections

Voluntary benefit lections are not available for enrollment through Employee Self-Service (ESS). 

  • To enroll in these voluntary benefits: Whole Life Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, and Group Accident, contact iBenefit at 1-844-816-0224.
  • To enroll in Legal Resources, contact 1-800-635-5597.
  • To enroll in Legal Shield, contact 1-800-654-7757.
  • To enroll in Aflac Supplement Dental, contact Aflac at 410-397-9617.

Contact Human Resources Management


1400 McCormick Drive
Suite 159
Largo, MD 20774


Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5 pm