Apply for Retirement
Retirement is a major career milestone and plays a pivotal role in your financial future. OHRM Benefits and Pensions staff are available to help you navigate through the retirement process and ensure you feel confident in your decision to transition into retirement.
You are encouraged to review the suggested timeline and begin planning for retirement at least a year in advance.
Until further notice, all counseling sessions will be held virtually. If you would like to schedule an appointment with a Retirement Analyst, please complete the Request for a Virtual Counseling Session.
You may also contact the Division at 301-883-6390 or at email@example.com with any questions you may have.
12 Months Before Retirement
- Request an estimate
- Contact your Deferred Compensation Plan 457(b) Plan Provider
- If applicable, contact Social Security Administration
6 to 9 Months Before Retirement
- Review your estimate and benefit options
- Prepare retirement budget
- Consider your long-term healthcare needs
2-3 months Before Retirement
- Contact the Pensions Division to schedule a counseling/officially apply for retirement
- Review your leave balances
1 Month Before Retirement
- Submit notice of intent to retire to your Appointing Authority
- Adhere to all required checkout procedures
Employees who are enrolled in one of the County's four Public Safety Pension plans or one of the seven Supplement Pension plans should complete the Request for a Benefit Estimate form. Since estimates may require Analysts to research a member's account, please allow least 5 to 10 business days for processing.
For those enrolled in the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System, who wish to obtain an estimate of their retirement benefit. Please visit the State's website at https://sra.maryland.gov/mysrps. Here, you will be able to create an account on their secure portal and generate your estimate.
Complete the request for a Virtual Counseling Session, and a Retirement Analyst will contact you in 24 to 48 hours to schedule an appointment. Counseling sessions are strictly confidential and are conducted using Microsoft Teams or by telephone.