Collection Licensing

Heading_Collection Licensing

**The current Solid Waste and/or Recycling Collection Vehicle Temporary Permit expires on September 30, 2022. All collection vehicles must pass a Health Department Inspection and provide documentation prior to obtaining permit. All collection/hauler businesses must be licensed or re-licensed.**

CASH PAYMENTS ARE NOT ACCEPTED. Fees must be paid by check or money order made payable to: Prince George’s County, Maryland. Fees are due upon receipt of permits.

As mandated by CR-116-1991, "No Recyclable Material or Solid Waste generated in Prince George's County shall be transported by any person over any public highway or street within Prince George's County, unless it is contained in a vehicle for which there is a valid registration issued by the Department of the Environment. The registration card shall state the name of the vehicle owner, the description and serial number of the vehicle, Maryland vehicle license or state apportioned tag number and the county refuse collection vehicle registration number.“

Procedure for Obtaining Collection Licenses & Registration Cards

All applications for a Collector's License and individual vehicle registration cards to be used for the collection and hauling of Solid Waste or Recyclable Material, shall be submitted on forms available through the Department of the Environment:
Recycling Section
9200 Basil Court
Suite 300
Largo, MD 20774

Or you may complete and print the online fillable form to bring to the office by clicking here.


License(s) will be issued by appointment only on Tuesdays and Thursdays 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. (no exceptions).

Appointments must be made in advance, by calling 301-883-3635 or by emailing



These licenses may not be sold or reassigned to any other party. A separate license is required for each vehicle. As part of the annual renewal of a Collector's License, a vehicle inspection through the Health Department is required for all Class II, III and IV vehicles. Applications for a Collector's License must be made annually by September 30. Please see inspection and permitting schedule by clicking here. 

Description & Cost of Collector's License & Vehicle Registration

Collector’s (Business) License - Fee: $50
A Collector’s License is a license for your business that is required to be obtained by any owner of commercial vehicle(s) used to collect and transport any type of Solid Wastes* or Recyclable Materials**. This license is for the business and not the vehicle, and must be renewed annually. You must have this license to obtain a Refuse/Recycling Collection Vehicle License, subject to the following:

  • If you collect and transport solid waste or recyclable materials for others and as your primary business, this license must be renewed each year.
  • If you transport (not collect) solid waste and/or recyclables for yourself or for your business only, this is a one-time fee.

Class I Collection Vehicle - DOES NOT require a Health Department Inspection - Fee: $100
A GREEN sticker will be issued: A Class I Collection Vehicle License is required to be obtained by any owner of a commercial vehicle used to collect paper waste products which are not contaminated by food or liquid (paper collected in a dual steam method, not mixed with bottles and cans), construction/demolition debris, or yard trim/landscape debris (grass, leaves, and brush). Vehicles used only to collect and transport paper, or yard trim, bulky items such as furniture, construction and demolition (C&D) debris does not require a Health Department Inspection unless otherwise deemed necessary by the Health Department.

Class II Collection Vehicle - REQUIRES a Health Department Inspection - Fee: $275
A YELLOW sticker will be issued for Landfill and Composting Facility access (food scraps and yard trim). A LIGHT BLUE sticker will be issued for Materials Recycling Facility access, Composting Facility access and Bulky ONLY at the Landfill (NO TRASH ACCESS): A Class II Collection Vehicle License is required to be obtained by any owner of a commercial vehicle used to collect Solid Waste* OR Recyclable Materials** (recyclables that may include bottles and cans). Vehicles collecting and transporting these types of materials requires a Health Department Inspection. 

Class III Collection Vehicle - REQUIRES a Health Department Inspection - Fee: $350
A PURPLE sticker for access to ALL Facilities: A Class III Collection Vehicle License is required by any owner of a commercial vehicle that may be used to collect BOTH Solid Wastes* AND Recyclable Materials**. Vehicles collecting and transporting these types of materials requires a Health Department Inspection. 

Class IV Collection Vehicle - Fee: No Charge
A SILVER sticker for access to ALL Facilities: A Class IV Collection Vehicle License is only applicable to government-owned vehicles and REQUIRES a Health Department Inspection if they are to collect those wastes identified for Class II or III. Local In-County Government (License Fee Waived).

*Solid Wastes include trash, garbage, rubbish, offal, industrial and commercial refuse and food product wastes.  

**Recyclable Materials include food and beverage containers (including bottles and cans), and paper products.

Documentation to bring with you to renew your licenses:

  • Collector’s (Business) License form (which must be completed in its entirety), if applicable.
  • All copies of the Health Department Inspection Certificate, if applicable.
  • Current Maryland State or acceptable apportioned vehicle registration card or a photocopy for each vehicle license to be renewed.  The Office of Law has determined that only those vehicles with Maryland or acceptable apportioned registrations from other jurisdictions can be issued refuse collection licenses from the County.
  • For each vehicle, bring the current Recycling/Refuse Collection Vehicle Identification card(s) issued by the Recycling Section.
  • In-County haulers must register at least one collection vehicle as a Class II Recycling Only, or Class III Refuse AND Recycling or show evidence of an agreement or contract for providing recycling services through another entity.
  • County contractors who service once a week trash and recycling collections should have Class III stickers to ensure access to both the Materials Recycling Facility (MRF) and County Landfill and permit all spare trucks.