Animal Control Commission FAQs

Our mission is to ensure the safety of the community, citizens, and animals through due process.


Meeting Agendas

Agendas are available before the meetings.

View All Agendas and Recordings | Subscribe to Agendas Updates


Animal Complaint FAQs

What type of complaints does the form cover?


What constitutes a public nuisance?

  • Public nuisance animal shall mean any animal which unreasonably (1) annoys humans, (2) endangers the life or health of other animals or persons, or (3) gives offense to human senses; or which substantially interferes with the rights of the citizens, other than its owner, to the enjoyment of life or property. The term "public nuisance animal" shall mean and include, but is not limited to, any animal which:
    1. (A) Is repeatedly found at large; or
    2. (B) Damages the property of anyone other than its owner; or
    3. (C) Molests or intimidates pedestrians or passersby; or
    4. (D) Chases vehicles; or
    5. (E) Excessively makes disturbing noises (including, but not limited to, continued and repeated howling, barking, whining, or other utterances) causing unreasonable annoyance, disturbance, or discomfort to neighbors or others in close proximity to the premises where the animal is kept or harbored; or
    6. (F) Causes fouling of the air by odor and causing thereby unreasonable annoyance or discomfort to neighbors or others in close proximity to the premises where the animal is kept or harbored; or
    7. (G) Causes unsanitary conditions in enclosures or surroundings where the animal is kept or harbored; or
    8. (H) By virtue of the number or types of animals maintained, is offensive or dangerous to the public health, safety, or welfare; or
    9. (I) Attacks other domestic animals; or
    10. (J) Has been found by the Commission for Animal Control, after notice to its owner and a hearing, to be a public nuisance animal by virtue of being a menace to the public health, welfare, or safety.


Can I report someone anonymously?

  • No, anonymous forms will not be processed.


What about wild animals?

  • This form is not for reporting wild animals.
    1. Wild animal means any animal not commonly kept as a pet that generally is found living in a natural habitat and that is not tamed, domesticated, or socialized in any manner. This shall include any hybrid animal which is part wild animal such as a mix of a dog/wolf breed.
  • If you have comments or questions concerning wild animals, please contact Animal Services at 301-780-7201


Where can I view the Prince George’s County Animal Control Code?


How do I request a hearing with the Animal Control Commission?

  • First, a notice of violation is sent (complainant receives a copy) to the offending citizen. If the situation does not improve within two months or things become drastically worse, a written request with the case number can be sent to the hearing administrator.
  • The complainant must appear before the Commission and state such in the request letter.


What do I need to do to prepare for the hearing?

  • For citizen vs. citizen claims, the complainant must maintain a log of occurrence of the nuisance in question.
  • If applicable, provide photographic evidence of violations (example: picture of a dog running at large on your property).
  • Notarized statements from witnesses that are unable to attend the hearing to testify on your behalf.


What happens at the hearing?

  • Both the complainant and the defendant will present evidence, witnesses, and testimony to support their stance.
  • The Animal Control Commissioners weigh the facts presented and make a ruling based on applicable codes and knowledge.
  • Ruling decisions are not made and the time of the hearing and will be mailed out within 21 days of the hearing date.


May I withdraw my request for a hearing?

  • Yes


What do I need in order to have a virtual hearing?

  • A computer or mobile device with a webcam, a stable internet connection, and a noise-free environment.
  • Evidence needs to be submitted no later than seven (7) business days before the scheduled hearing via mail to The Animal Control Commission at 1801 McCormick Drive Suite 500 Largo, MD 20774, or by email to