Pet Care & Education
Check out this NBC4 news story that features Director Andrea Crooms speaking on the importance of having pet pantries and other resources available in our community to help with the cost of having pets.
For more information on affordable resources available to pet owners, keep reading below or learn about the numerous organizations in the region on our Animal Shelter & Pet Resources page.
Pet Food Pantries
- LOVEPAWS Pet Pantry (lovepawspg.org) or call (301) 615-1198
- Humane Rescue Alliance
- Bowie Claw for residents of Bowie, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spay Spot located inside PGASD; call (301) 254-8151 to schedule an appointment
- PG SPCA located in Forestville: www.pgspca.org or call (301) 262-5625
- Spay Now located in Laurel: www.spaynow.com or call (301) 483-7080
- More information for services offered in surrounding jurisdictions on our Spaying & Neutering page.
Low-Cost Shot Clinics
- PG SPCA located in Forestville: www.pgspca.org or call (301) 262-5625 Clinics are held the first Sunday of every month.
- Humane Rescue Alliance: www.humanerescuealliance.org. Clinics are held by appointment only, on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Check organization website for updates.
- Check with the PGC Health Department for announcements on events held by this department throughout the year.
The Animal Services Division (ASD) offers several diverse presentations promoting a healthy and respectful attitude towards animals and a respect for all living beings. These presentations are free of charge to schools, and civic and community associations throughout the County. The program topics include:
- Animal Overpopulation-Spay/Neuter Services
- Pet Care
- Proper Care of Household Pets
- Safety Around Animals
Our professional staff will help you select a suitable topic and presentation for your group. To schedule a presentation, call the Volunteer Coordinator at 301-780-7220.
In addition to the presentations, ASD also offers tours of the Animal Services Facility. The tours last approximately 20 minutes and consist of a walk through our facility. During the tour, participants may have an opportunity to hold some kittens and puppies, as well as ask questions. To schedule a tour, please call the Volunteer Coordinator at 301-780-7200 and select option "6."
For more information on animal-related issues and a list of upcoming events, sign-up and view our most Animal Chatter newsletter (5/4/23).