The Resource Recovery Division provides trash collection service to approximately 164,000 homes in the county. Citizens and residents in the County-contracted collection areas should place their trash containers curbside by 6 a.m. on their regularly scheduled collection day.
Trash will be collected between the hours of 6 a.m. and 8 p.m. The contractor will empty containers and return them to your curbside. The homeowner is responsible for storing and cleaning the containers. Neither the County nor the contractor will be responsible for items not intended for collection that are placed next to trash containers or for the removal of any containers other than regulation containers.
To report a missed trash, yard waste, recycling or bulky trash collection, or to register a complaint about trash pick-up, please submit a service request via CountyClick or dial 3-1-1 for assistance.
Trash, recycling and yard trim collection services are NOT provided for the following holidays:
|New Year's Day||Memorial Day||Independence Day|
|Labor Day||Thanksgiving Day||Christmas Day|
If the holiday falls on a weekday during a regular collection day (Tuesday - Friday), trash and recycling collection will shift to the next day, through Saturday, with no collections on Sunday. There are NO makeup days for yard trim collection.
View a full holiday schedule for trash, recycling and yard trim collection.
Inclement Weather Policy
In the event of inclement weather, residents are advised that bulky trash, once-a-week trash and recycling, and yard trim/waste collections may be delayed or suspended due to road or weather-related conditions. If collection services are postponed, every effort will be made to pick-up the missed collections on the following day after that day’s regular collections. Residents are reminded to leave their collection containers at the curbside and that pickups can occur from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
If once-a-week trash/recycling collections are suspended for two consecutive days, collections for the missed days will resume the following week on the regularly scheduled collection days. For example, if collections are suspended on Tuesday and Wednesday, Wednesday and Thursday or Thursday and Friday, those collections will move to the next week.
If once-a-week trash/recycling collections are suspended on Friday, those collections will move to Monday. There will be no Saturday collections.
Monday yard trim/waste collections suspended due to severe weather will be collected on the following Monday.
Bulky trash collections suspended due to severe weather will be collected within seven (7) days. Residents will be contacted with a new collection date within that timeframe.
In all cases, residents are reminded to adhere to their current HOA or civic association rules and regulations regarding trash and recycling placed in public areas.
Collection Status Updates
- Check the Prince George's County and the Department of the Environment websites for collection updates on trash, recycling and yard trim. Information updates will be posted on the main page of each site.
- Check out DoE's Facebook or Twitter pages.
- Sign up for email or text message updates about holiday and weather-related collection status.
- Contact CountyClick online or dial 3-1-1
Outside the County: (301) 883-4748
- View the Holiday Collection Schedule
Trash containers must be either:
- Permanent-type, standard metal with bottoms intact and no excessive rust
- Securely tied, heavy-duty plastic bags
- Watertight, heavy-duty plastic containers with handles and tight-fitting lids
No single container should exceed 60 pounds. There is no limit to the number of regulation containers that may be used.
- Garbage: Food wastes accumulated in normal household use
- Trash: some plastics and ashes
- Bamboo: The proper disposal is to be prepared like yard waste no longer than 4 feet and tied in bundles placed out to be collected with the trash.
- Unwanted trash containers (old rigid plastic and metal trash can/carts/containers must be placed at curbside on regularly scheduled trash and recycling collection day turned upside down). If the container is not collected with the recycling collection, please contact CountyClick 3-1-1.
Collection for Senior Citizens and Disabled
The County provides the backdoor collection of trash for senior citizens over 65 years of age and for disabled citizens.
To qualify, no one living in the home can be under the age of 65 or be physically able to carry the trash/recycling toter curbside. To make arrangements for backdoor collection contact CountyClick at 3-1-1.