Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel
The mission of the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel is to:
- Ensure that the report and recommendations of the investigating unit are reasonable and appropriate under the circumstances
- Strengthen the partnership between citizens and the Prince George's County police by assuring the public that investigations of alleged excessive force, abusive language and/or harassment are complete, thorough, and impartial
We seek to improve the climate of community/police relationships through the fair and timely resolution of individual complaints.
- Issues reports to the Chief Administrative Officer
- Makes an Annual Report to the Public
- Makes recommendations to the Chief of Police
- Reviews each Internal Affairs Division investigation for thoroughness and impartiality
- Reviews reported complaints of excessive force, abusive language, and/or harassment
- 7-member citizen panel
- Created by County Legislation CB-25-1990
- Complete an official Complaint Against Police Practices Form No. 1072 (PDF) or prepare a written account of your complaint. The 1072 form is in all public libraries, the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel Office and all County Police Stations.
- Submit your complaint to the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel or any County Police Station by mail or in person. You can also send complaints by email to the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel.
- Reports should be filed as soon as possible. Complaints alleging excessive force must be notarized and filed within 90 days of the incident.
NOTE: Due to long-term technical issues related to data extraction, the CCOP must again adjust the publication date for its annual reports, as we cannot publish accurate reports until this issue is resolved. At that time, we will publish a combined report covering calendar years 2016 and 2017. The expected publication period for this combined report is Summer 2018, after testing and implementation of a new web-based system is complete. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
CCOP’s annual reporting period is a calendar year, covering January 1st – December 31st. The annual report is published on online, each year, by June 30th. Visit our archive center to see a list of prior annual reports for the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel. CD-ROM and a limited number of hard copies of the most recent annual report are available upon request. Please contact the CCOP by phone at 301-883-5042 or by email.