Emergency Assistance to Families with Children
Everyone experiences an emergency at one time or another. The Prince George’s County Department of Social Services is here to help. The program assists customers with dependent children under the age of 21 who face an immediate crisis and need help to resolve the situation.
Emergency Assistance may cover but is not limited to, eviction notices, mortgage foreclosures, gas and electric turn-off notices, delinquent water bills, and burial assistance.
You may be eligible for assistance if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a Prince George's County resident
- You have a minor child (0-21 years of age) or are pregnant
- You are related to the child by blood, marriage, or adoption
- People living in the household are U.S. citizens, lawful permanent resident aliens, refugees, or aslyees
- You are actively engaged in job search or employed
- You have not received emergency assistance in the past 24 months
- The emergency was not caused by your refusal to accept employment
- You did not voluntarily leave your employment without good cause.
- Evidence of a stable source of income to pay ongoing expenses so that emergency does not recur.
General Verification Requirements
You will need to provide the following information and documentation:
- Proof of residency
- Valid Identification
- Social Security Number
- Court Order/Summons
- Utility shut-off notice
- A record of monthly expenses and bills paid for at least 30 days
- Proof of total household income: wage stubs for past 30 days, recent benefit letters from the Social Security Administration,
- Veterans Assistance Benefits, or the Unemployment Insurance Program
- Current checking or savings account statement and current balance
- Other pertinent information that may be required to process your application.
If you would like to find out if you qualify for this program, you can visit one of the local offices nearest to you.
Interpretation Services are available free of charge for limited English proficiency customers. Please contact one of the local offices for assistance.