Strategic Roadway Safety Plan
Prince George’s County has completed its first Strategic Roadway Safety Plan. The plan is modeled after Maryland’s Strategic Highway Safety Plan and the state’s Toward Zero Deaths approach. The plan utilizes crash data including pedestrian-vehicle and bicycle-vehicle crashes to create reduction targets and reduce serious injuries and fatalities in half by 2030.
Capital Bike Share Planning
Prince George’s County has planned thirty (30) additional Bike Share stations to compliment the twenty-four (24) existing Bike Share stations already operating across the County. The Stations will be funded in part by the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) State Highway Administration's (MDSHA) Transportation Alternative Program (TAP). See the Prince George's County Capital BikeShare Planning Map
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission was awarded grants by the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments’ Transportation/Land Use Connections Program and the State Highway Administration’s Maryland Bikeways Program to design the Central Avenue Connector Trail. Once constructed this trail will connect four blue line Metro stations: Capitol Heights, Addison Road, Morgan Boulevard, and Largo Metro stations. View a map of the proposed route.
- Montpelier Dr. from Laurel-Bowie Rd. (MD 197) to Carland Place
- Campus Drive from 50th Ave. to Kenilworth Ave. (MD 201)
- Ager Rd. between Queens Chapel Rd. (MD 500) to Tuckerman St. Also includes Jamestown Rd. from Queens Chapel Rd. to Hamilton St. and Hamilton St. from Jamestown Rd. to Ager Rd.
Prince George’s County is in various stages of design and construction of streets that will transform several county roadways into multimodal corridors while providing accessible pedestrian and bicycle access safety enhancements, as well as, environment site design techniques to treat storm water.
These following projects include bicycle lanes, improved sidewalks, pedestrian scale lighting, and street trees:
- Marlboro Pike Pedestrian Safety Improvements Phase 2
- Harry S. Truman Drive from White House Road to MD 202
- Race Track Rd. Pedestrian Safety Improvements
- Addison Rd. at Walker Mill Rd. Intersection Improvement
- Campus Drive from MD 201 to 50th Avenue (On-hold)
- Largo Area CIP Roadway Project (On-hold)
- Metzerott Rd., MD 650 to Adelphi Rd., Pedestrian Safety Improvements
- Chillum Rd., Knollbrook Dr., Road Intersection CIP Project
- Stuart Ln. Pedestrian Safety Improvements
- Marlboro Pike Pedestrian Safety Improvement Phase 1
- Ager Road from MD 500 and Tuckerman Street
- Montpelier Drive from MD 197 to Carland Place
- Swann Rd. from Silver Hill Road to Dianna Drive
- Edmonston Road from Emerson Street to Varnum Street