Thelma C. Newsome-Somers, MBA, CPA
Thelma Newsome-Somers is a certified public accountant with 20+ years financial management experience in non-profit, private sector and government accounting principles and applications. She has a stellar and proven track record for producing cost savings resulting in operational efficiency. Her areas of expertise include accounting, budgeting, financial reporting and fiscal management.
Maryland Real Estate Agent| Isabelle Williams and Associates
- Provide customer service real estate needs to prospective buyers and sellers.
- Represent clients with the utmost integrity and hospitality.
Director of Business Finance| Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate
- Provided financial oversight of the organization. Reduce expenses 7% to 10% year over year. Directed the upgrade system conversion of Great Plain system. Managed and reviewed of grant requests and proposals. Ensured compliance with GAAP, legal, regulatory grant and fundraising reporting requirements for all consolidated companies.
Senior Staff - Financial Planning & Analysis| Verizon Communications
- Managed a $100M department in accounting, budgeting, financial reporting and fiscal management. Developed short and long-term plans to achieve strategic objectives for growth and profitability which resulted in 4 continuous years of budget surplus.
Senior Financial Analyst| Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission
- Managed and analyzed proposed projects, services, programs, policies, procedures, and practices for financial impact and cost effectiveness. Developed, and reviewed operational processes and implemented new procedures for grant requests.
- George Washington University, Washington, DC| Master of Accountancy
- Virginia Intermont College, Bristol, VA | Bachelor of Science in Social Work Special emphasis in Psychology and Sociology
- Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Chartered Global Management Accountant