Become a Foster or Adoptive Parent
Our foster and adoptive parents are valuable resources. It is about changing lives one child at a time.
The State of Maryland’s licensing requirements apply to become foster and adoptive parents. Through the process, an aid works with you in meeting the regulations.
Some requirements are:
- County resident
- 3 references for your parenting ability
- 27 hours or more of Pre-Service Education
- Home Safety and Sanitation Inspection
- No felony convictions
- No crimes of violence or child abuse
- Background/criminal history clearance for everyone living in the home, age 18 or older
- Income to support yourselves without relying on foster care payments. In 2-parent households, both parents may work outside the home if the child’s care will not be poorly affected
- Must discipline children in a positive manner without physical punishment
Speak with a Representative
For specific questions about your qualifications or the condition of your home.
- Call 301-909-2300
- Submit an inquiry
- Attend an information session
We look forward to working with you and your family. Our goal is to make this a wonderful and rewarding experience.
Interpretation services are available for non-English speaking customers. Please contact one of the local offices for help.