Maryland Energy Assistance Program
The Energy Assistance Programs helps low-income citizens pay their heating bills, minimize heating crises, and make energy costs more affordable. A comprehensive energy package, which includes the Maryland Energy Assistance Program (MEAP) and The Electric Universal Service Program (EUSP), has links to the community and the customer. These programs promote energy conservation, customer financial responsibility and energy independence.
MEAP provides assistance with home heating bills, and EUSP helps eligible low-income customers with their electric bills. Funding for the MEAP program is usually available November 1st. Funding for the EUSP program begins July 1st.**
Applying For Assistance
Energy Assistance Staff will process your application to make sure all required information has been submitted. Please note that it can take up to 45 days to process an application. When submitting your application, please include the following information:
- Copy of applicant’s photo identification
- Proof of residence
- Copies of social security cards for household members, including children
- Proof of total household income for the past 30 days (from all sources of income) Proof of income includes paystubs or benefit letters from DSS, SSA, VA or the Unemployment Insurance Program
- The name of your home energy supplier and account number
- A copy of your most recent utility bill
- If you rent, a copy of your lease or a rent receipt
Assistance is available whether you are an active customer or you are currently without service. Eligible electric customers may receive help in three ways:
- Help to pay current electric bills
- Help to pay past due electric bills
- Help with energy efficiency measures to reduce future electric bills
- Catholic Charities, Forestville - 301-568-9529
- Department of Family Services, Hyattsville - 301-265-8450
- Laurel Advocacy & Referral Services, Laurel - 301-776-0442
- Spanish Speaking Community, Hyattsville - 301-434-5055
- UCAP - 301-322-5700
- Salvation Army - 301-277-6103
Weatherization Assistance Program
The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) may provide home weatherization services to eligible individuals such as weather stripping, caulking, plastic window covering, etc. to help make your home or apartment more fuel efficient and comfortable at no cost. For additional information please call 800-638-7781 or log on to WAP.
Utility Service Protection Program
The Utility Service Protection Program (USPP) protects low-income families from utility cut-offs and allows MEAP eligible households to enter into a year-round even monthly payment program with their utility company. An equal monthly payment plan based on the estimated cost of the customer's average annual utility usage minus the MEAP benefit will be used to determine the even monthly payments for participation in the USPP.
Individuals and families in need may visit the nearest MEAP outreach office to request an application, or contact us by phone at 301-909-6330. You may also apply online via SAIL or download the application (PDF).
Visit FAQ’s for commonly asked questions about Energy Assistance or Energy Assistance Programs for more information about the services available.