Fire Prevention & Life Safety
The Fire Prevention and Life Safety office comprises three sections, Code Enforcement, Project Coordination, and Special Hazards.
Code Enforcement inspects public and private schools, day care centers, group homes, congregate living facilities, hospitals, nursing homes, alternate living facilities, housing for the mentally-challenged and coordinates public safety efforts with other County agencies, as necessary.
Project Coordination is a principal level office/field engineering position with primary responsibility for:
- Oversees construction and renovation projects for the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department.
- Drawing and reviewing architectural and engineering plans for the numerous building projects that the Fire/EMS Department undertakes.
- Site coordination and liaison activities between the Fire/EMS Department, other County agencies, contractors, and career and volunteer personnel throughout the County.
- Monitors progress on all construction projects and evaluates the work proposed and performed to ensure compliance with County ordinances and procedures, County building code, and job specifications.
- Assists the Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) to evaluate Master Plan updates.
Special Hazards handles the administration of the Department’s after-hours code inspections programs as mandated by Subtitle 11 “The Fire Safety Law of Prince Georges County, Maryland,” enforcement of the State and County Fire Codes, implementation and coordination of programs designed to reduce/eliminate the loss of life and financial losses due to fires and other hazards.