- County Government
- Departments & Offices
- Public Safety
- Homeland Security
- About Us
- Emergency Management
- Hazard Mitigation Plan - Draft
Hazard Mitigation Plan
Attend the upcoming the next public meeting, review the drafted 2023 Hazard Mitigation Plan and drafted Appendices.
Every five years, Prince George’s County and the City of Laurel update their Hazard Mitigation Plan. The County is currently leading a plan update for 2022.
The Hazard Mitigation Plan Update is meant to guide the actions Prince George’s County, the City of Laurel, and other incorporated municipalities will take to reduce risk from disasters over the next five years and beyond. This plan assesses natural hazards that can impact the County and develops a strategy to reduce the impacts and build resilience. It will be integrated with new and existing plans, building and zoning regulations, and environmental projects.
This year, the plan will also take a much closer look at how future climate conditions will impact the hazards and how equity can be further elevated and integrated in the strategy. These additional focus areas will make sure that Prince George’s County and the City of Laurel responsibly and equitably plan actions and projects that will effectively mitigate risk from natural hazards for many years to come.
What is Hazard Mitigation?
Hazard mitigation is any sustained action taken to reduce or eliminate long-term risk to life and property from hazards, such as flooding, winter storms, or dam failures. Disasters can cause loss of life, damage to buildings and infrastructure, and have long-lasting impacts on a community’s economic, social, and environmental well-being. To help prevent this, mitigation actions are taken, such as public education and outreach programs, elevating buildings above potential floodwaters, or strengthening building codes to make sure new buildings can withstand hurricane-force winds.
Prince George’s County’s goal is to become a disaster-resilient community, so proactive mitigation planning is an important component of overall development planning.
The purpose of mitigation planning is to both protect people and structures from damage and to minimize the costs of disaster response and recovery. Prince George’s County and the City of Laurel are focusing on hazard mitigation planning to reduce risk and create a safer, more disaster-resilient community.
Public participation is critical for a successful hazard mitigation plan. The valuable knowledge from the residents and businesses of Prince George’s County and the City of Laurel help produce a plan that fully integrates what matters most to people living and working in the county.
Opportunities to provide information, input, and feedback will be available throughout the planning process.
- Review the drafted 2023 Hazard Mitigation Plan and drafted Appendices
- Attend a public meeting (see below for details on upcoming meetings).
Date: Thursday, February 2nd, 2023
Time: 5:30 – 6:30 pm ET
Registration Link: https://bit.ly/PublicHMP2
Virtual Meeting Link to Join on a Computer: https://bit.ly/PublicMeetingHMP2023 (Meeting ID: 234 450 078 526 | Passcode: pp5T8K)
Call-In Information (audio only): +1 571-360-4685 (Phone Conference ID: 703 631 473#)
Topic and Purpose: This meeting will provide an overview of the updated 2023 Draft Hazard Mitigation Plan and allow members of the public to ask questions and give feedback on the Draft Plan. The Draft Plan will be available for review before the meeting. A feedback survey will also be available for those that would like to submit their comments and questions in advance or cannot attend the meeting.
- Mitigation Advisory Committee Kick-Off (9/16/2022)
- Public Meeting #1 (11/9/2022)
- Mitigation Advisory Committee: Risk Assessment Results (11/16/2022)
- Mitigation Advisory Committee Meeting #2: Strategy Meeting (12/14/2022)
- Final Mitigation Advisory Committee Meeting: Draft Plan Review (2/1/2023)
- Public Meeting #2 (2/2/2023)
- Mitigation Advisory Committee Kick-Off Notes
- Mitigation Advisory Committee Kick-Off Presentation
- Public Meeting #1 Notes
- Public Meeting #1 Presentation
- Mitigation Advisory Committee Risk Assessment Review Notes
- Mitigation Advisory Committee Risk Assessment Review Presentation
- Mitigation Advisory Committee Meeting #2 Notes
- Mitigation Advisory Committee Meeting #2 Presentation
- Final Mitigation Advisory Committee Meeting Notes
- Final Mitigation Advisory Committee Meeting Presentation
- Public Meeting #2 Notes
- Public Meeting # Presentation