Drinking Water Quality and Wells

Drinking Water Quality/ Wells



1. What types of services does the county provide regarding my well or septic system?

Prince George's County Health Department provides several services to residents as part of the Environmental Engineering Program, including:

  • Percolation tests  to determine the suitability of soils for individual sewage disposal systems (See our Percolation Test Application (PDF).)
  • Review of septic system plans, and issue Septic System Permits for the replacement of failing septic systems and permitting of conventional septic systems for new construction.)
  • Site evaluations for replacement wells
  • Well Permits
  • Inspection of well and septic system construction in existing homes
  • Disbursement of funds from the State's Chesapeake Bay Restoration Fund for the installation of Best Available Technology (BAT) nitrogen-reducing septic tanks or connection to the public sewer. (Download the Bay Restoration Fund (PDF) application form.)
  • Oversight for backfilling of abandoned wells
  • Review and approval of subdivision plats to be served by individual wells and/or septic systems
  • Site evaluations for the potential installation of Innovative and Alternative (I&A) Septic Systems where conventional septic systems will not work
  • Routine monitoring of I&A systems
  • Inspection and licensing of septage haulers to operate within the county
  • Evaluation of septic systems and wells for the operation of new foster care homes, adult and child care facilities, camps, schools and other institutional facilities
  • Sanitary water and sewer surveys in problem areas in conjunction with the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC)
  • Investigate complaints regarding sewage disposal problems, public sewer overflows (in conjunction with WSSC), well water not meeting standards, pollution of County streams and waterways and improper disposal of oil, household waste, industrial waste, hazardous waste and special medical wastes, etc.
  • The Health Department works with WSSC (https://www.wsscwater.com/FOG) on different levels to reduce the amount of fats, oils and grease getting into its sewer system

2. How do I obtain information on the well or septic system on my property?

Send an email requesting information to EnvironEngProgram@co.pg.md.us

3. How do I backfill an abandoned well?

Please click HERE to submit a service request by selecting “Drinking Water Quality/Wells.”

4. How do I report loss of water pressure, taste, color, odor or other well water issues?

Please click HERE to submit a service request by selecting “Drinking Water Quality/Wells.”

5. I need a new well. What do I do?

Contact a licensed well-driller from the list located on the Maryland Department of the Environment’s website Maryland Dept of Environment Licensed Well Drillers (https://mde.maryland.gov/programs/Permits/EnvironmentalBoards/Documents…)

Once a well-drill is selected, they will submit a “New Well Application*” to Prince George’s County, on behalf of the homeowner/applicant.

6. How do I determine the source of my water and sewer (public/private well or onsite sewage disposal (septic) system)?

If you receive a water/sewer bill from Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC) or any other water/sewer provider, you are on public water.

Contact Environmental Engineering/Policy Program EnvironEngProgram@co.pg.md.us