Welcome to the Prince George's County Fire/Emergency Medical Services Department!
The Prince George’s County Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department is the sixteenth busiest fire department in the United States and the largest in the State of Maryland. Prince George’s County is a large (nearly 500 square mile) jurisdiction composed of communities that range from urban and suburban to rural and agricultural. The Fire/EMS Department answers over one hundred forty thousand calls for service annually, protecting close to a million residents and visitors. Our emergency response workforce includes over 900 sworn personnel operating from 50 community stations and support facilities. Service disciplines include fire suppression, basic and advanced life support, hazardous materials, fire prevention, life safety, forensic investigation and explosive mitigation, as well as a variety of specialized teams.
We offer a competitive starting salary and a generous benefit and leave package, which includes special duty pay, 20-year retirement with pension and options for deferred compensation, as well as medical, dental, prescription and vision plans; all entry training is included. Promotional opportunities are frequent, with over 80 promotions occurring in the last calendar year. We are strongly committed to diversity, inclusiveness, and community representation. If you are currently considering a rewarding career with the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department, use the outline below to guide you through our selection process.
- Apply Today
- Experienced Fire Fighter 1Y
- Complete a Career Recruitment Form
- Familiarize yourself with the Hiring and Selection Process.
- Review the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT). Applicants are required to pass CPAT in order to be selected for employment with the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department. Begin a training regimen to help you prepare for CPAT.
- Review the User's Guide to the Online Application Process before you apply.
- When the announcement opens review the Job Announcement and Online Application for the position of Fire Fighter I and Experienced Fire Fighter I. Please know that your honesty and integrity are of the utmost importance during the application and hiring process.
- Once you complete and submit your online application, you will be sent an email with instructions for CPAT orientation and testing. CPAT is a physically demanding test and you will be required to complete a Waiver of Claim for Injury before participating in CPAT practice runs and testing.
- After you successfully pass the CPAT, begin preparing yourself for the Firefighter Entry - Level Exam. You will receive an invitation with your scheduled date and time.
- After you have completed both the CPAT and Entrance Exam, you should begin gathering all information necessary to complete your Personal History Statement in preparation for your initial interview. Please do not fill out the sample form.
You can contact the Fire/EMS Department Recruiter at (C)240-563-2172 or (O)301-883-3164 or email at PGFDRecruiter@co.pg.md.us.