Extreme heat emergency

County opens cooling centers. Urges caution during this severe weather period. Visit mypgc.us/StayCool for more information




 1. When is the best time to plant or replace trees?

Trees are planted or replaced in the Winter (November-March) of each year and they must be within the County's right-of-way. Service time is based on seasonality (on a 5-8 month basis). New roadside trees can be watered for three (3) years to help them properly establish. Watering ten (10) gallons per week is most important during the months of July, August, and September. Mulch, if applied, needs to be kept away from the trunk of the tree. Mulch volcanoes are harmful to trees. Natural wood chips are best for tree health; dyed or "synthetic" wood chips are harmful to tree health.

To request a new tree or to replace a tree in the County’s Right-of-Way, please click HERE

2. How are tree limbs handled?

Tree limbs can be collected with yard waste. They must not exceed four (4) feet in length and three (3) inches in diameter and must be securely tied in bundles. Bundles of tree limbs and brown paper bags of dry grass and leaves must weigh less than 60 pounds. Wet grass and leaves must weigh less than 25 pounds. Place the tree limbs for yard waste collection at the curb or designated place on Sunday night. Collections occur on Mondays starting at 6am. Place any other yard waste (grass clippings, brush, etc.) in brown paper bags and/or in a container with handles marked with "Yard Waste" or "Yard Trim" for collection as well. If you have bamboo to dispose, the bamboo should be tied in bundles no longer than 4 feet and placed for collection. Do not place it with yard waste for collection. Residents may take yard waste to the County's Yard Waste Composting Facility located at 6601 SE Crain Highway, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772. For more information about the Yard Waste Composting Facility, click HERE LINK NEEDED FOR KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE NOT YET CONFIGURED

For dead tree limbs or downed tree limbs from county trees located in the County’s right-of-way that may be the result of inclement weather conditions, citizens may submit a service request for tree trimming to remove the dead tree limbs or tree debris removal to have the downed tree limbs removed. The DPW&T will not remove tree debris that comes from private property. 

3. Does the county offer tree planting programs?

The Department of the Environment (DOE) has programs to help communities plant trees. They are the Tree ReLEAF Grant Program, Arbor Day Every Day (ADED) Program, and the Rain Check Rebate Program. DoE also offers FREE tree planting demonstrations. For additional information about tree planting assistance by DoE, please visit Plant-Trees. The State also has information about planting trees. To learn more, please visit Marylanders Plant Trees.

4. Is a permit required to remove a tree from my property? 

The removal of one or two individual trees to protect life or property is allowed without a permit or plan. Photos should be taken of the trees before they are removed to document why they needed to be removed. The stumps should remain in place wherever possible to limit the amount of disturbed area. Contact the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) Environmental Planning Section, at 301-952-3650 for guidance regarding tree removal and tree conservation approvals. For detailed guidance on this topic, please go to the following M-NCPPC (http://www.mncppc.org/1564/Woodland-Conservation-Ordinance) website for more information. If you live in a municipality, you also need to contact the municipality (https://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/594/Incorporated-Municipalities) to determine the municipality’s requirements regarding tree removal.

5. Tree Debris: 

Yard waste removal is the responsibility of the Department of the Environment. There are assigned yard waste days and DoE contractors go around and collect bundled and contained yard waste. This is separate service and not a part of normal trash collection.

Tree Debris in Common Areas of a neighborhood are the responsibility of the local Homeowner's Association. 

6. Tree in utility lines? 

The utility company must clear trees from the electrical lines. Please contact your local power company to clear the tree from the electrical lines. 

7. Trees over Private Property: 

The County does not trim trees over private property. It is the property owner's responsibility to perform any required tree maintenance of trees over their property.

8. Tree trimming: 

Tree trimming operations are performed to remove dead tree limbs and to clear or elevate trees to a clearance of seven (7) feet above sidewalks, ten (10) feet above the top of curb, and fourteen (14) feet over the center of the roadway in a manner to provide a neat, clean, and trimmed streetscape appearance of street trees located in the county right-of-way.

9. Tree/ Stump Removal: 

The County is only permitted and authorized to remove dead trees or trees determined to be hazardous in condition based on field inspection. Citizens may apply directly to the Maryland State Forestry Division (410) 360-8421 for a tree permit to remove a tree at their own expense they deem to be a nuisance and have to be removed.

10. Tree Replacement:

Tree Replacements are done only in the winter (November-March) of each year and the tree must be within the County's Right-of-Way.