Bowie, MD – Citizens in the Metropolitan Washington area utilizing cell phone service on the Sprint network are reporting problems contacting their local 9-1-1 centers. Prince George’s County Public Safety Communications (9-1-1 Center) has confirmed that the Sprint outage is affecting service in the County. Sprint is aware of the issue and is working diligently to restore 9-1-1 network services. This is a Sprint cellular provider problem NOT a problem at Prince George' County 9-1-1.
Until Sprint 9-1-1 services are completely restored, please help us to minimize the impact of the outage:
• Do not contact 9-1-1 to test your cell phone or for any reason other than to report an emergency.
• Contact 9-1-1 immediately if you have an emergency.
• If you are unable to reach 9-1-1 via a Sprint cell phone you should:
• Use a cell phone with a different service provider to call 9-1-1 if available.
• Use a wired phone to call 9-1-1 if available.
• Call or go to your local police or fire station to report an emergency if it is close by.
• Flag down a police officer or firefighter to report an emergency.
Prince George’s County Public Safety Communications staff will continue to work closely with Sprint representatives as they work to repair their network services as soon as possible. We appreciate the cooperation of our citizens as we work through this critical time and we will ensure that timely notification is provided when the problem is resolved. Citizens are encouraged to direct any questions or concerns to their Sprint provider.
# # #