For immediate release:
April 10, 2020
For more information, contact:
Linda Lowe, Public Information Officer
Prince George’s County
Department of the Environment
Prince George’s County Offers Windy Day Waste Collection Tips
Strategies to help you keep litter in the can
Largo, MD - Due to high winds, the Prince George’s County Department of the Environment (DoE) reminds residents to secure their recycling and trash wheeled carts and bins to prevent litter and possible damage to the containers. Residents may find it necessary to pull their containers into the garage, move them to the side or rear of the house to prevent items from blowing out of the receptacles.
Other tips residents should consider to reduce wind-blown trash and recycling:
- Secure their recycling and trash bins and wheeled carts to prevent litter and possible damage to the containers.
- Place lighter materials at the bottom of your wheeled cart and heavier items on top to prevent the lighter items from blowing out.
- If your wheeled cart is only half-full, consider waiting until your next collection to place it at the curb.
- Place a heavy object on top of the lid to keep items from blowing out.
- Turn your container parallel to the curb with the wind directed at the back of the bin.
- Bag all your trash before placing it in the wheeled container. This is especially important for small, lightweight items.
- Compact the trash – if you have loose items, place bagged trash on top of them to prevent them from blowing out of the cart.
- Be sure your lid can close. Trash and recycling items are more susceptible to blowing out of the cart when the lid is not completely shut.
- Bring your cart in as soon as possible after collection to reduce the risk of your cart blowing down the street.
- If you are home, keep an eye on neighborhood carts. Secure them if it looks like the cart or items from it are blowing away.
- Once collections are completed, check around your area to see if any materials may have inadvertently been left behind and toss in the appropriate waste receptacle for the next collection cycle.
To report a missed trash, yard trim, or recycling collection, please submit a service request via CountyClick or dial 3-1-1 for assistance.
# # #