Honors 22 elementary students for supporting responsible pet care and kindness to animals through creative artwork
LARGO, MD – The Department of the Environment (DoE) Animal Services Division (ASD) announced the winning entries of the “Be Kind to Animals” Poster Contest during a special awards ceremony held at the Animal Services Facility in Upper Marlboro. This is the 25th year the County has held the event.
More than 2,000 entries were submitted into the 2018 contest. Of those, 22 creative posters, designed by student artists in kindergarten through sixth grade, were honored during the ceremony. Through the contest, Prince George’s County recognizes elementary school students for their poster designs supporting responsible pet care and kindness to animals.
“We are honored to celebrate the 25th year of this contest focusing on educating students on the proper care for their pets,” said ASD Associate Director and Rodney Taylor. “Thanks to all the elementary-aged students in Prince George’s County, their parents, schools, and teachers for continuing to support this effort and submitting these amazing pieces of art that we honor here tonight.”
Taylor also recognized and thanked Mr. Roger & Mrs. Judy McClain for their generous contribution and ongoing support of the contest and awards ceremony. Another generous funder, Ms. Mary Jacobs, was recognized in memoriam for her long-standing support of the event.
Emphasizing the importance of providing lots of love and care to your pets, grand prize poster contest honoree Evangeline Posten, a third-grade student attending Dora Kennedy French Immersion, received a $100 gift card and a commemorative prize bag. Honors were presented in first, second and third places, which included $75, $50 and $25 gift cards respectively, and commemorative prize bags.
View photos from the awards ceremony on our Flickr.
Winners and their prizes include:
$100 and commemorative gift bag
- Evangeline Costen, 3rd Grade, Teacher: Dr. Mills; Dora Kennedy French Immersion
$75 gift certificate and commemorative gift bag (per winner)
- Deborah Aryeequae, Kindergarten, Teacher: Ms. Ahrens; Beltsville Academy
- Patience Njoku, 1st Grade, Teacher: Mrs. Lee; Seabrook Elementary
- Brad Urbiztona, 2nd Grade, Teacher: Mrs. Magowitz; Whitehall Elementary
- Lillian Williams, 3rd Grade, Teacher: Ms. Teitsworth; Beltsville Academy
- Donald Ross, 4th Grade, Teacher: Ms. Brewer; 1st Baptist of Laurel
- Shabad Singh, 5th Grade, Teacher: Ms. Brzozowski; Heather Hills Elementary
- Natalie Osorio, 6th Grade, Teacher: Ms. Burst; Cherokee Lane Elementary
$50 gift certificate and commemorative gift bag (per winner)
- Carrsyn Fullenwilder, Kindergarten, Excellence Christian
- Camille Soriano, 1st Grade, Teacher: Mrs. Singhateh, Dora Kennedy French Immersion
- Nhyla Miles, 2nd Grade, Teachers: Ms. Carter/Ms. Wilcher; Springhill Lake Elementary
- Amani Wilson-Adisa, 3rd Grade, Teacher: Mrs. Althoff, Pointer Ridge Elementary
- Alan Calderon, 4th Grade, Teacher: Mrs. Danos, Beltsville Academy
- Trent Taylor, 5th Grade, Teacher: Ms. Farmer, Excellence Christian
- Leo Nguyen, 6th Grade, Teacher: Mrs. Hinkley, St. Pius X Regional
$25 gift certificate and commemorative gift bag (per winner)
- Ricard Harris, Kindergarten, Teacher: Ms. Sapp; Panorama Elementary
- Destiny Metlock, 1st Grade, Tacher: Ms. Johnson; Panorama Elementary
- Maya Gareri, 2nd Grade, Teacher: Mrs. Lahlou; Dora Kennedy French Immersion
- Joseph R. Harrison IV, 3rd Grade, Teacher: Mrs. Graham; St. Pius X Regional
- Makayla Curtis, 4th Grade, Teacher: Mrs. Sliko; Montpelier Elementary
- Madison Harris, 5th Grade, Teacher: Mrs. Browne; Pointer Ridge Elementary
- Denise Fantem, 6th Grade, Teacher: Ms. Farmer; Excellence Christian
For information on how your school can participate in the 2019 “Be Kind to Animals” Poster Contest, contact Joanne Brown, Volunteer Coordinator/Humane Educator, Animal Services Facility at (301) 780-7200.
For more information, contact:
Linda Lowe, Public Information Officer
Department of the Environment
# # #