Information on Roads

The County Department of Public Works and Transportation (DPW&T) is responsible for County roads. County roads are identified by road names only (such as Sheriff Road). For help with problems on County Roads, call (301) 499-8600. Municipal streets are the responsibility of the individual city or town governments within their respective city limits. Exceptions are major thoroughfares through a city which may be maintained by either the State or the County. For help with problems on municipal streets, call your respective city or town government.

Some homeowners’ association roads are private or designated "other public" which require maintenance by property owners or homeowners’ associations. This is true especially in townhouse communities. Call your association to find out who maintains your roads.

If you are not sure whether a road falls under the State's, County's or a municipality's responsibility, you may contact the Right-of-Way Division at 301-883-5642, and staff will advise you of the roadway's status.