Employee Incentive Awards
Agency Human Resources Liaison Guidance
How to Process Incentive Awards
Agency Human Resources Liaisons (HRLs) should use the guidance outlined below to ensure the accurate and efficient processing of incentive awards for agency employees.
What is the Incentive Awards Program?
As defined in Administrative Procedure 216, the Employee Incentive Awards Program recognizes employees who, through outstanding professionalism, make an unusually significant contribution to the County's efforts will be honored appropriately. This procedure applies only to permanent, classified County employees.
The types of Incentive Awards that can be granted to employees under AP 216 include:
- Annual Leave Awards – Exemplary Performance Award can be granted, at the sole discretion of the appointing authority, to an employee who consistently receives performance appraisals that exceed a satisfactory rating.
- Special Achievement – This award can be granted to an employee who has contributed extraordinary effort to an agency's mission, either by the special achievement of a specific task beyond an employee's performance expectations or by the sustained performance at a level determined by the Appointing Authority to be "beyond the call of duty." An employee can earn up to five (5) days of Annual Leave and can be entered on the HR Liaison Incentive Award site. A Quick Reference Guide has been attached to the memo as guidance for Leave/Monetary Awards on the SharePoint Site.
- One-Time Monetary Bonus – This award can be given to an employee in lieu of an Exemplary Performance or Special Achievement Awards if you wish to recognize the employee with this type of award as outlined on AP 216.
Submission of Employee Incentive Award Requests
Employee Incentive Awards must be submitted in the designated Agency HR Liaison Incentive Awards SharePoint site with PDF of the completed Agency Award Nomination Form at least ten (10) business days before the pay date the award is being issued on to allow time for processing.
Submissions without the inclusion of the supporting documentation will be denied by OHRM and will not be processed.
Incentive Awards Guidance and Resources
Guidance and resources on the use and submission of Employee Incentive Awards can be accessed on the HR Community site Employee Incentive Awards Resources Folder for reference by Agency HRLs. Resources available include:
- One Pager: How to Process Incentive Awards
- Administrative Procedure 216 for reference on policy regarding Incentive Awards
- Award Nomination Form
- FY22 Incentive Award QR Guide
- Incentive Award Schedule FY22-23
Agency HRLs should reference these resources to ensure that incentive awards submissions are completed accurately going forward.
Please contact the OHRM People Operations, Core HR Division at CoreHR@co.pg.md.us if you have any questions regarding requests for details.