The numbers don't lie-1 out of 3 American adults have pre-diabetes. One of the primary risk factors for prediabetes is being overweight and obese. As many as 70% of adults in the U.S. and Prince George's County are classified as overweight by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Being overweight and obese can lead to prediabetes or other risk factors for type 2 diabetes. We encourage you to stop diabetes in its tracks and join our HALT!
What is HALT?
HALT (Health and Lifestyle Training) is an online diabetes prevention program with 26 sessions that aims to teach individuals how to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes. HALT is for individuals with prediabetes or other risk factors for type 2 diabetes. HALT encourages year long participation through trained lifestyle coaches and group support. Learn more and watch the HALT DPP’s introductory video.
Participants will need to meet all of the following requirements:
- 18 years or older
- Overweight (Body Mass Index of 25 or higher; 23 or higher for Asian-American)
- Not previously diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- Not currently pregnant
1. Had a prediabetes blood test result in any of the following ranges within the past year:
- Hemoglobin A1C of 5.7-6.4 or
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test: 140-199 mg/dl or
- Fasting Glucose Test: 100-125 mg/dl
2. A previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes (if you were pregnant)
3. High risk result (score of 5 or higher) on the prediabetes risk test
Do you have prediabetes? Know Your Risk.
Know your risk and take the CDC prediabetes risk test
Registration is free. For more information or to register for the HALT program, call (301) 856-9643 or send an email to WellnessInfo@co.pg.md.us. Once you complete the registration process, you will receive a follow-up confirmation call or email. Registration is currently open. Late registration closes on July 25, 2022.
- July 2022 to July 2023
- Location: Online (Cellphone, Tablet or Computer Device)
- The link to the website and how to download the mobile app will be emailed to registered participants prior to the start of the program.
- A FREE year-long self-paced program
- Mobile tracking
- Access Anytime Anywhere
- Learn how to eat healthy without giving up your favorite foods
- Learn how to lose weight, be more physically active and manage stress
- Having a trained lifestyle coach to keep you on track and motivated
- Support from other participants with the same goals as you, lots of fun, and participation giveaways