Voluntary benefits are Insurance products that employees may choose to purchase through the County:
- Supplemental Insurance
- Legal Services
Short - Term Disability Insurance
Unum’s Individual Short-Term Disability Insurance protects a portion of your income if you are unable to work due to a covered injury or illness. Common reasons people use this coverage include injuries, a covered pregnancy and digestive problems, such as gall bladder surgery.
- Income coverage of up to 60% of your salary
- You can choose a monthly benefit between $400 and $5,000 for covered disabilities due to injuries.
- Deductions for the programs are done on an after- tax basis.
Unum provides supplemental insurance plans as a voluntary benefit to County employees. You pay the full cost of coverage. Premiums are deducted from your paycheck on an after-tax basis. Each plan includes a $50 Wellness Benefit. The following plans are available though Unum:
Group Critical Illness Insurance Plan:
Group Critical Illness coverage from Unum can provide financial assistance when a serious illness strikes. Benefits paid by Group Critical Illness Insurance policies can help you with deductibles, co-pays and other out-of-pocket costs when you are diagnosed with a covered critical illness, such as a heart attack, stroke or cancer. Family coverage options are available for your spouse and children (under age 26).
Group Accident Insurance Plan:
Accident Insurance can pay a set benefit amount based on the type of injury you have and the type of treatment you need. It covers accidents that occur on and off the job. And it includes a range of incidents, from common injuries to more serious events. Family coverage options are available for your spouse and children (under age 26).
Whole Life Insurance
Unum is the Prince George’s County Whole Life Insurance administrator providing life insurance for your spouse, children and yourself. Unum’s Whole Life Insurance is designed to pay a benefit to your beneficiaries, but it can also gain cash value you can use while you are living . This benefit offers an affordable, guaranteed level premium that will not increase due to age. Unum provides the following coverage options:
- Whole Life Insurance
- Individual spouse coverage
- Individual child coverage
- Child Term Life benefit
- This plan can be used in addition to your County provided Basic, Supplemental, and/or Extra Life Insurance.
- You pay 100% of the premium cost.
- Deductions are taken biweekly on an after- tax basis. Payments you receive from the program are not taxed.
SUPPLEMENTAL DENTAL INSURANCE
Supplemental Dental Insurance is administered by Aflac. Supplemental dental insurance is a separate plan that enhances your current dental coverage. An individual or family that needs coverage for a particular procedure not covered by their dental plan may choose to purchase supplemental dental insurance to help manage costs.
- Choose your own dentist
- No precertification requirements
- Pays an annual wellness benefit
- Premiums start as low as $5.73 per week
The County offer two (2) providers Legal Resources and Legal Shield for a Legal Plan voluntary benefit.
The Legal Resources Legal Plan covers the attorney fees for a broad range of the most often needed legal services. The plan covers you, your spouse, and qualifying dependent children. There are no annual usage limitations, co-pays, or deductibles for the fully covered services.
- Legal services are covered in full for your monthly fee
- $17 per month deducted on an after-tax basis the first pay period of the month
- Mandatory enrollment of twelve (12) months
The LegalShield Legal Plan gets you access to advice and counsel on an unlimited amount of personal legal issues which include credit problems, family law, traffic violations, defense and preparation of wills.
- Deductions are taken on an after-tax basis
- Attorney fees not covered in full are provided at a 25% discount