Get Ready for Mulch Madness 2018!
Essential preparedness tips in the wake of extreme temperatures during this winter season.
Some of these tips include:
- Maintaining awareness of local warming centers;
- Checking on elderly/disabled relatives and neighbors;
- Bringing pets indoors during extreme temperatures;
- Dressing appropriately for winter weather and monitoring symptoms of hypothermia;
- Making an emergency kit for at least three days of self-sufficiency;
- Preparing a winter to-go kit for your car; and
- Registering for Alert Prince George’s to receive emergency information from the National Weather Service and OHS/OEM.
Warming Centers are heated public facilities whereby residents can go during periods of extreme cold temperatures to stay warm and seek temporary relief from the cold. A number of facilities throughout Prince George's County have been designated as warming centers. Additional information concerning local warming centers may also be obtained by dialing 211.
Emergency Shelters are facilities where stakeholders may live temporarily when they are unable to reside in their previous residence or are deemed homeless. To ensure a coordinated Continuum of Care system for homeless individuals, Prince George's County requires that all referrals to County Shelters be made through the Homeless Hotline by dialing 1-888-731-0999. The Homeless Hotline is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Homeless persons or individuals without heat are encouraged to go to local warming centers. These individuals are also encouraged to seek emergency sheltering for overnight stay. If constituents are aware of individuals that are without heat or are homeless, again please have them dial 211 to obtain information about warming centers and to also dial 1-888-731-0999 for homeless individuals in need of overnight stay.
As a reminder, additional preparedness information can be found at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website or the OEM website. Also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to obtain current preparedness tips.