- Health & Human Services
- Health Services
- Programs & Services
- Environmental Health
- Wells & Sewage Disposal Systems
Wells & Sewage Disposal Systems
ServicesPrince George's County Health Department provides several services to residents as part of the Environmental Engineering Program, including:
- Percolation tests to determine the suitability of soils for individual sewage disposal systems (See our Percolation Test Application (PDF).)
- Review of septic system plans and issue Septic System Permits for the replacement of failing septic systems, and permitting of conventional septic systems for new construction.)
- Site evaluations for replacement wells
- Well Permits
- Inspection of well and septic system construction in existing homes
- Disbursement of funds from the State's Chesapeake Bay Restoration Fund for the installation of Best Available Technology (BAT) nitrogen-reducing septic tanks or connection to the public sewer. (Download the Bay Restoration Fund (PDF) application form.)
- Oversight for backfilling of abandoned wells
- Review and approval of subdivision plats to be served by individual wells and/or septic systems
- Site evaluations for the potential installation of Innovative and Alternative (I&A) Septic Systems where conventional septic systems will not work
- Routine monitoring of I&A systems
- Inspection and licensing of septage haulers to operate within the county
- Evaluation of septic systems and wells for the operation of new foster care homes, adult and child care facilities, camps, schools and other institutional facilities
- Sanitary water and sewer surveys in problem areas in conjunction with the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC)
- Investigate complaints regarding sewage disposal problems, public sewer overflows (in conjunction with WSSC), well water not meeting standards, pollution of County streams and waterways and improper disposal of oil, household waste, industrial waste, hazardous waste and special medical wastes, etc.
License & Permit ApplicationsFor Onsite Sewage Disposal System Permit applications, visit the Prince George's County Department of Permitting, Inspections and Enforcement (DPIE) Health Forms page.
For Health Hazard Requests, Health Compliance Letter, Percolation Tests, and Work Order applications visit the Momentum Portal.