School Based Wellness Centers
Comprehensive health and social services are offered in a student-friendly, readily accessible school health center in four of the County’s public high schools. The Wellness Centers provide care that minimizes the physical and emotional conditions that become barriers to optimal school
performance. The goal is to make students available for learning by promoting health, preventing
disease, and reducing behavioral risks.
Clients and Locations
This program serves any students enrolled in the following Prince George's County Public Schools (PGCPS):
|Bladensburg High School|
4200 57th Avenue
Bladensburg, Maryland 20710
Phone: (240) 696-3356
|Fairmont Heights High School|
6501 Columbia Park Road
Hyattsville, Maryland 20785
Phone: (240) 573-7255
|Northwestern High School|
7000 Adelphi Road
Hyattsville, Maryland 20782
Phone: (301) 985-1872
|Oxon Hill High School|
6701 Leyte Drive
Oxon Hill, Maryland 20745
Phone: (240) 724- 1442
- The School Based Wellness Centers (SBWC) program will move to a fee-for-service model, effective January 18, 2018.
- Students will be billed based on a sliding fee schedule unless they have insurance through one of the Health Department’s contracted insurance companies.
- Although payment is appreciated at the time a service is rendered, no student will be denied services because of an inability to pay.
- Students will receive bills for designated services and unpaid balances will generate a bill that will be sent to a parent or a guardian.
- Students may ask for and receive certain health care services under Maryland’s Minor Consent Law, confidentially and at no cost to them.
The staff in the School-Based Wellness Centers consists of nurse practitioners, licensed mental
health counselors, medical assistants, community health nurses, a dentist, a dental hygienist, a
physician and office managers.
Student Health Services
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Minor/Acute/Chronic Health Problems
- Comprehensive Physical Examinations
- Developmental Assessments
- Sports Physicals
- Vision, Hearing and Dental Assessments
- Laboratory Testing
- Health Maintenance Visits
- Reproductive Healthcare
- Screening/Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
- Pregnancy Testing
Health Education Services
- Abstinence Education
- Weight Reduction and Healthy Living
- Diabetes Education/Management
- Asthma Education/Management
- Violence Prevention/Personal Safety
Dental Health Services
- Oral Health Screening
- Dental Hygiene Education
- Dental Referrals
Service hours vary according to individual school schedules. The Wellness Centers open 1 hour before the start of the school day, and close 1 hour after the end of the school day. Centers are not open when schools are closed for inclement weather, holidays or emergencies.