Housing & Homeless Services

The Prince George’s County Department of Social Services provides information, assistance and referrals to County residents who are facing homelessness or an eviction. If you need information about Section 8 and other County housing options, please call the Department of Housing and Community Development at 301-883-5501 or go to Housing and Community Development.

Program Overview
If you are facing eviction or foreclosure, you can call the Department of Social Services Homelessness Prevention Program at 301-909-6362. This program provides:
  • Screening of applicants to determine eligibility
  • Interviewing and assessment
  • Counseling, information and referral
  • Landlord and tenant mediation
  • Follow-up and linkages to other available resources
  • On-going community outreach and training through the Community Outreach Program (COP)
Assistance Organizations
You may be eligible to receive financial help to pay your rent or mortgage if you are faced with a crisis that may result in an eviction, foreclosure or homelessness. You can also get help by calling the following organizations:
  • Catholic Charities in Forestville - 301-568-9529
  • Community Ministries, Seat Pleasant - 301-499-2319
  • Laurel Advocacy and Referral in Laurel - 301-776-0442
  • United Communities Against Poverty (UCAP) in Capitol Heights at - 301-322-5700
Apply for Eviction or Foreclosure Assistance
When you call the numbers listed above, a staff member will advise you about the program and what information we need. He/she will also do a preliminary screening to see if you may be eligible to apply for financial assistance.

There are some questions you'll need to answer:
  • Are you a Prince George's County resident?
  • Why are you facing eviction or foreclosure?
  • Do you hold the lease on the apartment or deed on the house?
  • What is the total income of your household?
  • What are your monthly expenses?
  • Do you have sufficient income to cover monthly expenses after we help you?
  • Was the crisis due to circumstances beyond your control?
  • Are you willing to participate in counseling or other relevant activities that will prevent this crisis from happening again?
If you meet the preliminary eligibility criteria, an interview will be scheduled, and you will be informed about what type of information you'll need to supply to help us determine your eligibility.

Required Documents
The information you supply will be kept confidential. You'll be asked for documents such as:
  • Wage/pay stubs
  • Property records or deeds
  • Your current lease
  • Delinquent rent or mortgage bill
  • Birth certificates and social security numbers for you and members of your family
  • The name and address of the landlord or mortgage company
  • Other documentation which may support your claim for assistance.
Prince George's County residents:
  • In danger of eviction
  • Homeowners facing foreclosure
  • Homeless persons who need security deposits or first month's rent to move into permanent housing.
Interpretation Services
Interpretation Services are available for Non-English Speaking customers. Please contact one of the Local Offices for assistance.