Gladys Spellman Scholarship Application
During Women's History Month, the Prince George's County Office of the County Executive presents a scholarship in memory of Congresswoman Gladys Noon Spellman. Ms. Spellman was a celebrated public servant of Prince George's County for more than two decades.
The scholarship recipient will be recognized during the 34th Annual Women’s History Month Luncheon on March 21, 2019.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Candidate must be a Prince George's County resident.
- Candidate must attend a Prince George’s County Public School.
- Candidate must have a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5.
- Candidate must be in the 12th grade (accepted into college or awaiting acceptance).
- Candidate should be planning to major in the areas of political science, public administration/government, public safety or health.
- Candidate should be involved in school activities, as well as non-school activities.
- Candidate should provide examples of community service.
- If selected, candidate must be able to attend the Annual Women's History Month Luncheon on March 21, 2019, 12 Noon, at Martin's Crosswinds in Greenbelt, MD.
Your application MUST include the following:
- Sealed copy of your high school transcript (Mandatory)
- Copy of most current report card (Mandatory)
- Two letters of reference (School counselor/teacher/administrator and a non-family member)
- A personal statement that addresses the following: “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” – Nelson Mandela. Describe a change you would like to make in the world. Tell us about how you would plan to make that change, and what obstacles you might encounter along the way. (No more than 400 words)
- Examples of your high school and community extra-curricular/service activities
- Additionally, please attach copies of or list any awards, letters of commendation, news clips or other examples that support your application.
Gladys Noon Spellman Scholarship Application Form
Mail to: Women's History Month Committee
Deadline: February 22, 2019
Wayne Curry Administration Building, Fourth Floor
1301 McCormick Drive
Largo, Maryland 20774