The Circuit Court for Prince George's County Welcomes All - A Fair Forum for Justice
Chief Judge, Court of Appeals of Maryland
Chief Judge, Circuit Court for Prince George’s County
The Marbury wing of the Circuit Court is named for Ogle Marbury, a distinguished Maryland jurist.
Chief Judge Ogle Marbury was born on August 23, 1882 in Howard County, near Guilford. He graduated from Johns Hopkins University in 1902, and the University of Maryland School of Law in 1904. By the time he was admitted to the Maryland bar in 1904, and practice law in Prince George’s County and Baltimore. In 1910, he was elected to represent Prince George’s County in the Maryland House of Delegates. The leaders of the House of Delegates soon recognized Marbury’s talents, appointing him chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, and Democratic Floor Leader within two years of his first election.
Over the next thirty years, Marbury continued his dedicated public service while maintaining his private practice of law in Prince George’s County and Baltimore, often including overlapping terms of service as counsel to local, county and State governments. He served as an attorney for the Prince George's County Commissioners from 1914 to 1918, and again from 1937 to 1941. From 1916 to 1919, he also served as an Assistant Attorney General, and was named Acting Attorney General from 1919 to 1920; he also served as attorney for the Prince George’s County Board of Education from 1916 to 1937. In 1920, the governor appointed him Chairman of the Maryland State Board of Prison Control, precursor to the Maryland Parole Board, a position he held for three years. In 1929, Marbury was named City Solicitor for the City of Laurel, a position he held until his appointment as Chief Judge of the Circuit Court in 1940. And, he served as President of the Maryland State Bar Association.
In 1940, the Governor appointed Marbury as an Associate Judge and Chief Judge of the Seventh Judicial Circuit Court for Prince George’s County. He was appointed to the Maryland Court of Appeals in 1941; three years later, he was appointed Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals, a position he held until his retirement in 1952. As Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals, Judge Marbury initiated efforts to modernize the administration of justice in Maryland, culminating in the creation of the Administrative Office of the Courts shortly after his retirement.
Chief Judge Ogle Marbury left a legacy of well-written judicial opinions that heralded important changes in the law, and a lifetime of public service to Prince George’s County and the State of Maryland. He passed away on October 3, 1973, having been a major force in Maryland law for most of the twentieth century.